Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, Installed Sun jre1.5.0 on 2005LE and it's not working in both Firefox and konqueror. Firefox says that additional plugins are required and displays a blank space where the java ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

java not working in firefox

Hello,

Installed Sun jre1.5.0 on 2005LE and it's not working in both Firefox and konqueror. Firefox says that additional plugins are required and displays a blank space where the java applette is supposed to display (here: http://www.prophet.net/analyze/javacharts.jsp).

TIA

Just Joined!

Re: java not working in firefox

Quote Originally Posted by yoav_by
    Hello,

Installed Sun jre1.5.0 on 2005LE and it's not working in both Firefox and konqueror. Firefox says that additional plugins are required and displays a blank space where the java applette is supposed to display (here: http://www.prophet.net/analyze/javacharts.jsp

TIA
    How did you install it?

Just Joined!
    I downloaded the RPM from here: http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp and followed the instructions. Later I found out that I forgot the last part - Enable and Configure. I created a link to the plugin library in the Firefox plugins folder, and the effect was that Firefox wouldn't start at all - it just creates a button in the taskbar w/o any visible window, and after a few seconds the button disappears and the browser never shows up.

Use urpmi to install it...just go to the easy urpmi site and follow the instructions to add the contrib and plf sources to your machine. Then you can just open Mandrake Control Center, do a search for j2re, and install it with working plugins in your browsers.

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Tried that, no go. j2re not in the list

Just Joined!
    when you followed the Enable and Configure instructions, which instructions did you follow Mozilla1.4 and later or Mozilla1.2, Netscape 6 and later? The Mozilla 1.4 instructions are right for Firefox.

Just Joined!
    I followed the "Mozilla 1.4 and later" instruction.

Just Joined!
    maybe it was a bad download...you can try it again or try installing it from source instead of using the RPM (that's how I did it in every distro until I moved to Debian)

Nah, i had the problem too, so I can tell what was wrong in MY case, and maybe that will also be what was wrong in YOUR case.

When jre was installed, it created, among other things, two folders.
    Both of those /usr/jre###/plugins folders contained libjavaplugin_oji.so, and you had to go to firefox's plugin directory and create a symbolic link to that .so file.

The problem in my case was that I chose the wrong folder.
    I made a link to the libjavaplugin_oji.so that was inside ns7-gcc29 folder, and firefox crashed. Just delete the culprit linked file from firefox's plugins directory, and make it once again linking this time towards the real good folder, /i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

If it doesn't work, still don't go being desperate, rename temporarily the jre folder in usr/bin, that will enable firefox to load once again. You can also uncheck the option "enable java" so that firefox won't crash if you make jre wrongly. Then make it again neatly fro the beginning ;o)

Oh, I feel a small explanation would help remembering it : Firefox is compiled with a not so old version of gcc, version 3.2.3. I can't even tell you what gcc is (heck, it must be related to the C language), but nonetheless I can guess that if you make a link to ns7-gcc29 folder (version 2.9 baby), things won't work as well as they should be
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#q2.2

Good luck, Jim !

Just Joined!
    OK, I had 2 plugin folders called:
    /usr/java/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7
    and
    /usr/java/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29

Containing differenr versions of libjavaplugin_oji.so. Creating a symbolic link to the other plugin file solved everything.

Thanks a lot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast