Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well, I'm not a complete n00b to Mandrake (or mandria), so once I get up and running, I should be fine, but I've fun into a problem.. I was trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot Access my /src folder

Well, I'm not a complete n00b to Mandrake (or mandria), so once I get up and running, I should be fine, but I've fun into a problem.. I was trying to save a file to file:/usr/local/src and my problem is is that I cannot. It says access denied. I tried saving the file (mozilla) to another file then moving it there, but I cannot to dthat either. Any reasons as to why? (I'm sure this is probably the most n00biest thing ever! )

Thanks

Were you root at the time? I think the root account is the only one with write permissions to that folder.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Aye! Damn. That was most likely it. I'm just updating my System now. I'll give that a try now. Sorry about that. Just getting back into the ways of Linux. I had used it for a while, but I just somehow drifted back to windows, until I couldn't bare it any longer. I'll give that a go once I finish my update.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No need to apologize...we're here to help

Welcome back to the linux world! If you have any other problems, don't hesitate to ask.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Excellent. I love welcome forums! Don't worry, I'm sure I shall be back with more questions soon enoughm but for now, I'm off to write a final for Math.

Just Joined!
    Excellent. That workd Fine. Thanks

How can I make my User (the only on the sytem) have the permissions of the root?

The desktop shortcut should be something like right-click -> new -> link to application (I think...I've been using enlightenment and fluxbox for a while now, so my KDE is a bit rusty).

As far as the root permissions thing goes...you do NOT want a regular user account to have the same permissions as your root account. If you want to run a program as root, open a terminal, type su and press enter...it will ask for the root password and you're off and running.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Back for another! Apon trying to install aMSN, I was told that I needed 6 dependencies. How would I go about getting them?

Oh right, they were:
    tcl >= 8. 4. 2 is needed by amsn-0.94-3mdk
    tk >= 8. 4. 2 is needed by amsn-0.94-3mdk
    tcl is needed by amsn-0.94-3mdk
    tk is needed by amsn-0.94-3mdk
    libtcl8. 4. so is needed by amsn-0.94-3mdk
    libtk8. 4. so is needed by amsn-0.94-3mdk[/code]

I assume (since it lists the dependencies) that you've downloaded an rpm. You could try
    Code:
    urpmi <packagename>
    Make sure you define the path to the package...if you're in the same directory as the package it would be
    Code:
    urpmi ./<packagename>
    Is there any reason that you aren't going to use GAIM or Kopete? They're both compatible with MSN (among others).

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Hmmm, not sure I understand the whole urpmi procedure... Mind explaining further? As for gaim and kopete, I've never tried either. Gaim apppears to have more rpms? With Kopete, I got it "unzipped" but I didn't know where to go from there! Help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast