Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I was running 10.1 and gnome 2.6 as per the install ISOs. Everything was great until I decided to use mandrake's S/W update tool to load security patches. Now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can not access "Configure My Computer" after updating security patches

Hi

I was running 10.1 and gnome 2.6 as per the install ISOs. Everything was great until I decided to use mandrake's S/W update tool to load security patches. Now I can not access any config tool that would need 'root' access. Previously I would get a dialog that asked for root password and on I'd go. Now I'm stuck! I tried using KDE and get the same issue.

Is there a way I can reset this capability via a CLI or change the login manager to allow root to login using gnome? other suggestion welcome

many thanks

Graham

Just Joined!
    I'm having the same problem. I went to update mcc because I was having problem with it running and all of a sudden NOTHING is working right (urpmi, harddrake, rpmdrake)! I really hope I don't have to reinstall everything as I've had to install some stuff along the way that I'd rather avoid repeating.

Just Joined!
    I had to reinstall, but as I had my /home on the separate filesystem I didn't have to reload my data.

I'll just avoid updating the system as it seems this is a common issue on Mandrake