I'm running Mandrake 10.0 with the 2.6.3-7MDK kernel on my laptop (Sony VAIO)and I'm having a very hard time getting my wireless to work. When I fire up the wireless config tool, it takes me to select the network device manually, I pick the ipw2100 drivers and hit Next, and a dialog box flashes on the screen way too fast for me to read what's in it and then it bumps me back to selecting the network device. So this gets me pretty much nowhere.

So I figured this might be a hardware detection problem. ifconfig only shows entries for eth0 (regular, working network connection) and lo (local loopback). The wireless card (Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100) shows up in the hardware list (HardDrake) under EthernetCard with this info:

Code:
Vendor: ‎Intel Corp.
Bus: ‎PCI
Bus identification: ‎8086:1043:8086:2596
Location on the bus: ‎2:b:0
Description: ‎PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter
Module: ‎unknown
Media class: ‎NETWORK_OTHER
but doesn't seem to be associated with any module, and shows up again in HardDrake under Unknown/Others. As far as I can tell, this card is supposed to end up as eth1 or wlan0, but I don't know how to force it as a module.

I also went to the driver page, figuring it wouldn't hurt to try installing the drivers (even though they are apparently already installed with this distro) and that got me pretty much nowhere as well, I suspect because of the above issue.