Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi After installing Mandriva LE2005 and reboot into XP I have lost my network card. Error message is "network cable unplugged". But this card works fine whenever I am in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Loss of network card under XP

Hi
    After installing Mandriva LE2005 and reboot into XP I have lost my network card. Error message is "network cable unplugged".
    But this card works fine whenever I am in Linux.

Any idea as to the cause ?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    I think I'd start by looking at the nic card in Device Manager in XP, and see how the card shows there. The only thing I can think of that could cause the card to stop working in windows would be if the resources windows has listed for it are no longer correct (IRQ, etc).

I hope this helps. If not, post back what you find in device mgr for the card and someone else who knows more than I do might be able to tell what is going on.

Just Joined!
    The card is listed as working, no conflicts.
    Ping 127.0.0.1 works
    ipconfig - media not sensed.

I had not booted into Linux for over 1 week and it started to work again.
    Then booted into Linux and lost it again.

Have been using my USB ethernet adapter to overcome this problem, just gets a little fun if I need to use my laptop at the same time.

Don't know if this will work in your situation, because you can connect in Linux.

In Windows try pulling the USB plug and reinserting it into a different USB port.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Hi

I think I'm having a similar problem to you, shutdown linux and loose network connection.

I started a new topic - http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-46250.html

didn't realise there was a similar one.

travd

Just Joined!
    Yes Travd we are having exactly the same problem.

Thankfully I am able to plug in my laptops USB ethernet into my desktop and get going again under windows.

Otherwise I would have some major problems.

Let us know if you find a solution.

Oldguy

Linux User
    Because you know the card works because it functions in Linux I would first try "ipconfig release" and then "ipconfig renew" from a dos prompt. If that doesn't seem to fix things I would try turning the computer all the way off and uplugging it. Let it sit for a few minuts and turn it back on. That probably wont fix it but it's worth a try before you open up the case and make sure that the card is seated good and solid. I would actually take it out and reseat it then try it again. If that doesn't work take the card out again and put it back into adifferent PCI slot then try it again. Reseating and moving the card has fixed my problems at work a couple of times over the years.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Yes Travd we are having exactly the same problem.
    Is the light on your nic/router turning off when you power down linux, like Travd said is happening in his post?

Just Joined!
    Hi

For the moment my solution is to exit kde, so i'm at the command line, exit so it asks for "login" and just turn the computer off manually from here.

Far from satisfatory, but it keeps the network connection.