Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok guys, i tried to do a search, but over 200 pages of information came up, and the first 10ish didnt have anythin to do with what i wanted. So ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake Install Question

Ok guys, i tried to do a search, but over 200 pages of information came up, and the first 10ish didnt have anythin to do with what i wanted.

So i'll pose the question:

Is it possible for me to install Mandrake without the use of any cd's. Like install it without the use of any cdrom or any cd's at all. I tried mountin the image using dameon tools, but when i did, the file woudlnt let me install. The main screen came up with the install function etc, but when i clicked on Install it wouldnt let me install.

So if there happens to be a way, could someone please post up how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

What medium are you using to start the install? Floppy?

Are you attempting a network install.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    It doesnt matter what medium i use, aslong as its not CD or DVD.

And by network, if you mean will i be connected to the internet, then yes, and if you mean to other computers, then no.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by -GS-
    It doesnt matter what medium i use, aslong as its not CD or DVD.

And by network, if you mean will i be connected to the internet, then yes, and if you mean to other computers, then no.
    I think This may help (FTP Install)

Just Joined!
    yeh man, the ftp install would have been great, if i didnt have to burn that stupid iso file first. And thats what i keep seeing onall of them. It allways says burn this or that to install. Is there any way to do it without? Like can i load up the boot.iso file with daemon tools and install from there to a different partition on my harddrive?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by -GS-
    yeh man, the ftp install would have been great, if i didnt have to burn that stupid iso file first. And thats what i keep seeing onall of them. It allways says burn this or that to install. Is there any way to do it without? Like can i load up the boot.iso file with daemon tools and install from there to a different partition on my harddrive?
    OK, what about floppies? This site shows you how to using floppy & FTP

HTH

Just Joined!
    ahh thats sick, thanks man, now one more question (sorry about all of these questions,) for these steps:

fdformat /dev/fd0
    mkdosfs /dev/fd0
    dd if=network.img of=/dev/fd0
    insert second floppy
    fdformat /dev/fd0
    mkdosfs /dev/fd0

What command would i do on an XP system thats the equivelant of the ones up above?

Insert 1st floppy into drive.
    OPen Explorer
    Select Floppy drive in Explorer
    Right Click
    Select Format
    Wait till it is done
    Insert 2nd disk and repeat.

To write the image file to floppy, download this program known as rawwrite, and use it to write the image file to floppy. I think that is the windows equivalent of dd? Correct me if I am wrong.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    thanks tons for your help man, but now once again, you guessed it, i have another question. The problem that arises now, is that when i try to put the network_drivers.img onto the disk i get the followin error

Damaged File Structure or unknown file system

and i get this error using undisker (which i had before your suggestion) so any idea whats wrong?

EDIT: Disregard the stuff above, i tried your program, and it worked fine. Sorry

Just Joined!
    Ok, it seems like everything is trying to make me not install it, but this is the new problem i've developed:

I get to the part where it asks me to input a ftp address and i put in this one:

For FTP Address: ftp.sunsite.org.uk
    For Web Directory: /package/mandrakelinux/official/iso/10.1/i586/Mandrakelinux-10.1.-Official-Download-DVD.i586.iso

and i get this following error:

The modules for this Kernel (2.6.8.1-12mdkBOOT) can't be found on this mirror, please update your bootdisk

I dont know whats wrong, because its the right version as far as i know. Im assuming its not my internet connnection, because it gives me a list of the FTP addresses, and even when it try those, nothing works, it gives me the same errors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast