Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried installing the latest Mandrake and I got to the video configuration and it detected my video card as an ATI Radeon which it is and it detected my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Video Problem

I tried installing the latest Mandrake and I got to the video configuration and it detected my video card as an ATI Radeon which it is and it detected my Monitor correctly. It set teh resolution and color to 1024x768 and 66bbp which is the right resolution, but when I test it my monitor loses connection and says out of range. Which doesn't make sense. I also tried putting it to 800x600 and it still didnt work. Anyone know why?

Would you post exactly which model your Radeon card is? It might just be poor driver support for that card, rather than a problem with your monitor.

Most of the people on these forums seem to agree that nvidia cards are a better bet as their driver support is superior.

Be careful if you decide to adjust your resolution rates manually in xorg.conf (or whatever it's called now) as you can blow your monitor if you over specify.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    My card is an ATI Radeon X600 Pro. It identifies everything correctly though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I just tried installing SuSe 9.2 and it installed fine and everything and then it restarted after install and it did the same damn thing as it did with Mandrake. So my damn video card is preventing me from using linux that is ********. If anyone knows a work around or somthing help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by nextbox
    I just tried installing SuSe 9.2 and it installed fine and everything and then it restarted after install and it did the same damn thing as it did with Mandrake. So my damn video card is preventing me from using linux that is ********. If anyone knows a work around or somthing help is greatly appreciated.
    Well, I use a Radeon 9000 (which by now is getting a bit old) and it works fine - But, I have some old kit (my monitor is really finished) so not much comparison. You can:

do a Google search for some better drivers for your card or;
    change to nvidia ... or...
    errr ... I don't think there's another option.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by nextbox
    I feel your frustration. ATI cards are notoriously hard to get working in Linux, particularly the newer ones (anything after a 9600 pretty much). If you're not looking for 3D acceleration you can edit your /etc/xorg.conf file to use the "vesa" driver. That driver works with pretty much any VGA card on the market, but it doesn't support 3D acceleration.

If you're really desperate you could pick up a cheap Nvidia card, as well.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanx for help everyone. My solution was to download Slax Live Linux. I booted the beast up and mounted my suse partition and edited xorg.conf to work with my sync rate and resolution, rebooted and she loaded right up. Thanx again for all the help .