Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just installed Mandriva LE 2005. On reboot, the program wouldn't finish loading - just the penguin smiling at me. I would appreciate any ideas anyone might have. thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva LE 2005 won't start

Just installed Mandriva LE 2005. On reboot, the program wouldn't finish loading - just the penguin smiling at me. I would appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

thanks.

This is the screen with the "loading" bar, isn't it - there's an option to press escape for the verbose mode. If you can do that and say what command it gets stuck on it might well help. Not knowing much, I still might not be able to help, but more experienced people would probably find that info useful.

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!
    Hitting "escape" only makes the top 1/4" of the display flash. No verbage appears. BTW, I have a separate HD with Windows on it - It boots fine.

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    New info. Tried to boot in "failsafe". Still hung. I did a hard restart and Linux finally loaded but I had to constantly move the mouse. The same thing happens with any application I try to load. THey just hang until I start moving the mouse. Its like the mouse movement is improving cpu performance, which is the opposite of what I would expect. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'm afraid, as I predicted, I'm gonna be less than no help on this...

Linux gurus? help?!?!

Sorry
    Giles

Edit: just one thing people have raised before - you might need to check the md5sum to make sure the installation cds are OK.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!
    I had exactly the same problem. I reformatted the hard drive and it still did the same thing. Did you get it from the free disk in the Linux magazine? - that is where I got mine, and loads of other people are having the same problem with it. There is an error on the disk

Ben.

Just Joined!
    Got my CD's on Ebay. Installed it on an older PC - seems to work fine. I'm trying to install it on a Gateway Notebook on a brand new hd. Maybe my processor is going down...?

Does anyone have a suggestion on a different distro to try?

Laptops sometimes have some very strange issues, but usually they're acpi-related. Since the problem still happens in failsafe (which uses acpi=off and noapic) I'm not sure what else to try other than disabling acpi in the BIOS if you have the option.

As far as other distros, I've personally had pretty good luck with SuSE on laptops, but your mileage may vary. Have you tried booting with a liveCD like Knoppix? If so, do you still have the error?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

If its not what Flatline suggested, I'm guessing its a USB issue. Try disconnecting all USB devices. If that isn't working disable USB in your BIOS and see if it will boot.

Just Joined!
    I found the fix - Switched to Ubuntu. It installed easily and booted fine. Thanks to everyone who provided input.

If you want Linux on a laptop, like Gnome, are having difficulty installing/booting Mandriva or your fan runs constantly followed by a perceived thermal shutdown, try Ubuntu.