Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm needin help understandin the read out of modemscan. I was told to look in the modemData txt file for info on my modem and I just am so lost. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Scanmodem txt

I'm needin help understandin the read out of modemscan. I was told to look in the modemData txt file for info on my modem and I just am so lost. I'd post the file here but am afraid its to big and it might tick someone off. Plzzzz Help me

Linux Guru

Re: Scanmodem txt

Quote Originally Posted by IronBayBee
    I'd post the file here but am afraid its to big and it might tick someone off. Plzzzz Help me
    So how big is it? I've seen posts with 100 lines or so before. Post the part you think is important and we'll try to help. You know the deal with winmodems in Linux, right?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

Think I found modem info

00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Mode m Controller (rev 03)

I'm usin mandriva 2005Le 10.......
    I dont know how or what driver to even try now. and yes I know linux hates my modem lol. Ive tried over 10 distros and only Alinux, Xandros and Mepis have support for this modem but I really am set on wantin to use mandriva or knoppix

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru

Re: Think I found modem info

Quote Originally Posted by IronBayBee
    Ive tried over 10 distros and only Alinux, Xandros and Mepis have support for this modem but I really am set on wantin to use mandriva or knoppix
    If you can get the modem working in one distro, you should be able to get some information on how to make it run in Mandriva. Maybe you just need the right driver (="module"). Of those 3 distros, can one of them run as a "liveCD"? That is, can it run from the CD without being installed to the hard drive?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Linux Guru
    This link make help: it's a HOWTO for installing Debian on a Thinkpad, but it has the same modem you have.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    Yes they will run as live cd

Linux Guru
    Fire one up, make sure the modem is working and then:

Enter the command 'lspci' to "list" what's on you PCI bus. Look for your modem and make notes.

Enter the command 'lsmod' to "list" the modules that are loaded. This is a bit tougher, but you want to see if you can identify a driver related to your modem.

If you run the set-up program for the modem or for the internet connection, you may get some other information.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'