Find the answer to your Linux question:
Aight got Mandrake up and running, But now....heh My brother stole my disks and uploaded it onto his comp, I figured it would be fine and dandy getting the whole ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need some more Help

Aight got Mandrake up and running, But now....heh

My brother stole my disks and uploaded it onto his comp, I figured it would be fine and dandy getting the whole family as far away from Windoze as possible, But then the spit hit the fan. My brother doesn't have a cable or dsl modem he is still using slow azz dial up.

I need to know if there is a driver for his modem anywhere out there.

it's a 2898 Data fax Modem v.90 by ESS Technology Inc.

I tried doing a search on google but nothing came up for it

any help would be appreicaited thanks

Most dialup (especially internal ones) are called Winmodems in linux. You can find a tutorial here and you can get drivers here.

The 1st thing you need to do is determine your brother's modem chipset, this can be found by either reading the technical docs which came with the modem or by contacting the manufacturer. Also (it happened in my case) in the Windows control panel, the Hardware manager may also give hints to what the modem's chipset is. For me, the Netcomm v.02 modem I was using had a Lucent/Agere chipset. Once you have found this, grab the drivers from the limodems site and follow instructions given in tutorial.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

back again

Ok I used scanModem and this is the info it told me about my brothers modem

Class 0780: 125d : 2898 Communication controller: ESS Technology ES2898 modem (rev 03)

Subsystem 148d: 1062 DIGICOM Systems Inc.: Unknown device 1062

Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 17

My brother formated windoze from the harddrive when he installed Mandrake so I couldn't go into the device manager to retrieve the info, I hope this helps.

Thanks

Ok, from this site, it seems that your brothers modem doesnt seem to have drivers for linux, atleast that particular chipset doesnt have drivers (ESS289. However the Digicom modems seem to have some support. But I cant see any concrete matches.

That same site also says that ESS drivers seem to have been pulled off from the net. My personal suggestion would be to either get a new 56K modem, preferably with a Lucent chipset (as my old one) e.g. a Netcomm or something, the best bet for 56K would be an external modem as these typically are not winmodems. Otherwise now would be a good time to upgrade to broadband as lots of people have had lots of trouble getting winmodems to work under linux.

Sorry I cant be of much more help. If you have any more questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Just Joined!

Ok.

Anyone know where I can find a external modem under 150 bucks? lol

Or a Luscent chipset modem?

My brother lives in the country so can't have Broadband because it doesn't reach out to his location yet.

Thanks for all the help Alex.

$150 is expensive for a modem of any kind (basic ADSL modems cost about $80). I paid roughly $30 for that 56K modem a few years ago, and at that time an external model cost roughly $50 and prices have remained steady from then on.

I would suggest you check out the local computer store for cheap dialup modems, but be sure to choose a name brand one which has driver support for linux. The linmodems page and the other page should give the model names and chipsets for various modems.

My old modem was a Netcomm Roadster V.92 modem, I got it to work under Mandrake 10.1 and Xandros before I moved onto broadband.

Just Joined!

Yeah

Well I went to NetComm and that's why I said something about under 150 bucks lol

http://www.netcomm.com.au/Modems/external.php

Linux Newbie
    Holy hell those are expensive.. Any cheap serial modem should work, Intel chipsets are supposed to work perfectly with the generic driver.

The first modem on this site is the one I got working under linux. Dick Smith is also selling a D-Link 56 K external modem for $90 can be found here

Also, local computer fairs have these modems for atleast $50 cheaper than what Dick Smith and other big companies advertise for. However, I would suggest that before buying the modem, contact the manufacturer and find out which chipset the modem is using and wether linux support is available for it.