Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Mandrake 2005LE, Network card is a 3com 905 on eth0. If I set a static IP on the machine I can ping my gateway/firewall/DHCP server both its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Static IP not working

I have installed Mandrake 2005LE, Network card is a 3com 905 on eth0.
    If I set a static IP on the machine I can ping my gateway/firewall/DHCP server both its inside IP and outside IP, however I cannot get beyond that. Websites are not found.

If I set it to DHCP everything works fine. I have over 100 windoze machines and several Linux boxes running static IP's that connect fine. I need to set a static IP on this station.

I have swapped out NICs, used a variety of static IP's in my range, all with no results.

Any Ideas??

You need to add a gateway to your network config. I think it would be
    Code:
    route add default gw <IP_address_of_gateway>
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    That works, however the effects are not permanent. On a reboot the static IP fails.
    Which file does this write to?
    I looked at the eth0 config file under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and compared it to another Mandrake station and they were the same, except for the static number.
    If I go into drakconf and set the static IP I am setting the gateway, just as I did on the install however, when I click apply, the gateway disappears.

I think it uses /proc/net/route to store it, but if I remember correctly, the syntax is a bit rough. For a quick and dirty fix, you could add the route command I gave you earlier to /etc/rc.local and it will run every time you boot.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thank You!

That solved the problem adding the line to the rc.local file.

unknown
    Can you post that network config file, I'm having troubles as well and I would like to use it as a point of reference. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown
    Can you post that network config file, I'm having troubles as well and I would like to use it as a point of reference. Thanks.
    Not sure if this is what you are after, this is my ifcfg-eth0 file:
    Code:
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=172.16.15.33
    NETMASK=255.255.0.0
    NETWORK=172.16.0.0
    BROADCAST=172.16.255.255
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=10
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no