Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey everyone, i am a new linuix user but very experienced windows xp user, i work for a big ISP in australia and do onsite work. I have instaleed Mandrake ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

noobie: best way of file sharing

hey everyone, i am a new linuix user but very experienced windows xp user, i work for a big ISP in australia and do onsite work. I have instaleed Mandrake Mandirve Limited edition 2005 on my second pc, i have got a netcomm nb5080w and internet works very well on linux pc, i can PING the linux computer no worries but when it comes to file shareing i am useless

what is the best possible way that i can share files between my xp machines and linux, or is there a remote way of accessing the files on the the linuix pc using my xp workstation or vice versa, like using Internet Explorer, similar to novell

your help would be fantastic, i search the forums with no luck

thanks guys

The most popular way (I think) is using Samba, you can check it out and read about it @: http://samba.org

Just Joined!
    thnx mate, does anybody know if u can log in remotely using some service and a client like IE

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    looks complicated man, lol, why does the free stuff have to be hard

google for this document, "The Unofficial Samba Howto", it will tell you all you need to know about setting up samba and file sharing with windows machines.

Once you have set up the Samba server, the Linux Machine will appear in Network neighbourhood and you can transfer all you like.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    thnx man, will do and let u know whats happening