Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay. I am extremely new to Linux. And by that I mean like twelve hours new. I am having some problems configuring a whole bunch of stuff. First and foremost ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Earth

Help with installing ATI drivers

Okay. I am extremely new to Linux. And by that I mean like twelve hours new. I am having some problems configuring a whole bunch of stuff.

First and foremost is my videocard. Upon first configuring the system, I was given a choice to select my monitor and screen resolution. Each time I tested it it came back all messed up until I hit the combo of ¨Generic monitor @ 1600x1200 and a screen resolution of 640x480. Itś the only combo that I tested and worked.
    I have tried downloading the ATI proprietary driver for my card (ATI Mobility Radeon 9800) but everytime I load it up it says this and nothing more :

[mark@localhost Desktop]$ ./ati-driver-installer-8.14.13.run
    Creating directory fglrx-install
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.14.13........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............
    ==================================================
    ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
    ==================================================
    Detected configuration:
    Architecture: i686 (32-bit)
    X Server:
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install

I don´t know what I am doing right or what I am doing wrong. If anyone out there more experienced might be able to lend a helping hand, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dell XPS w/ 3.4G HT
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9800

--> I don know what kind of monitor I should specify because whenever I use flat screen and run the test, nothing works.

Thanks !!!

Just Joined!

ATI Drivers

Just getting back into this linux thingie after a two year abscence.
    If I remember correctly, you have to edit your XF86Config file to tell linux which driver to use when starting the x server. Aparently the new versions add a "-4" to the end of the file name.

There are configuration tools, Xconfigurator if you can get Xserver to start and xf86config in the command line environment.
    you will have to edit the Device section of the file and tell it what driver to use.
    you will also have to enter the modes and color depths in this section. make sure you rename your old file so you can put it back if things don't go well.
    **BE CAREFUL of the modes that you input in the file if the settings don't match your displays capabilities then you could ruin it.**
    The ATI driver install may have written an XF86Config file of its own and named it something like XF86ConfigATI.
    do a list command for XF86* and see what you get. you may just have to re-name it to get it to work. Hope these ideas get you running.

type in fglrxconfig to continue the installation, this should be a help. Try following it from the beginning. If you would rather keep the progress you have made, the official install guide should help get you through it.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close