Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've recently installed an ITE adaptor which is listed in Hardrake as a RAID ITE Controller. There's a Mandrake Linux driver on the CD Rom, albeit for Mandrake ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Addng new hardware

Hi all,

I've recently installed an ITE adaptor which is listed in Hardrake as a RAID ITE Controller. There's a Mandrake Linux driver on the CD Rom, albeit for Mandrake 9.2 but can anyone tell me how you get Mandriva, or for that matter, any Linux distro, to recognise when new hardware's been put into the machine? I want to keep it as simple as possible, just to tell the system to see the new hardware, then pull up the driver from the CD and install it. Anyone know how to do this?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!
    All Linuxes to my knowledge, including Mandrake/Mandriva, do automatic hardware detection each and every time Linux boots up. I've seen this work when I've added or taken off hardware. And it adds in or removes the revelant software as needed, with or without prompting. This happened for most hardwares I've switched on my systems, and Linux will usually have the revelant drivers already in the OS.

So the question really is, why did your Mandrake installation not do this for your ITE brand RAID adapter, especially when the OS can see the adapter's identifying information (as shown by harddrake)?

The one thing I'd ask is: in your CMOS, is the PnP OS option on or off? It should be off.

If it was already off, I have no more ideas as to why the autodetect didn't react to the new RAID adapter, but maybe someone with some practical experience with RAID might have some ideas about that.

In any case, it's been, in my experience, only a small minority of situations where the autodetect didn't catch a significant hardware change. It might be best to just install the drivers this time and keep an eye on things to make sure other hardware changes are autodetected.

Thanks for that, do you know how to extract and install the driver from the CD? I know it invloves command line but I would need help there.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633