Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello. I have just installed Mandrake 10.2 and I am trying to get wireless working on it. I have a Netgear WG311 v2 with the TI ACX111 chipset. I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help setting up wireless

Hello. I have just installed Mandrake 10.2 and I am trying to get wireless working on it. I have a Netgear WG311 v2 with the TI ACX111 chipset. I am new to linux and the CLI has been the toughest part. So, I have tried to get this baby up and running solely through the GUI.
    I have installed the card and then gone into the Mandrake Control Center where I added a new interface through the setup menus. Everything has appeared to work fine. Ndis wrapper was installed and then I located my driver from the install CD that came with the card.
    But, after that I have no idea how to get the connection started. I have been reading alot on different forums to see what I should do next. I think that I almost have it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

$/sbin/iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions

eth0 no wireless extensions

sit0 no wireless extensions

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any nickname:"localhost"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 Ghz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:10dBm Sensitivity:0/s
    Rts thr=2347 B Fragment thr=2312 B Power Management=off
    Link Quality:100 Signal Level:0 Noise Level:0
    Rx Invalid Nwid:0 Rx Invalid Crypt:0

Ok, does Kwifimanager see any networks? I don't know what mandrake uses to setup wireless networks, but you will have to set at the very least the ssid of the network (mine at home is SMC for instance). I don't use encription, if you do you will also have to enter the WEP key (I'm not too familiar with the various encription methods, I only have the MAC address filtering turned on).

After this, you might have to run 'dhclient'.

Hope this helps.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Well, you have a link already, according to iwconfig so at least we know your card and the router are "talking".

Have you tried
    Code:
    dhclient wlan0
    or
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/network restart
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for responding so quickly. I appreciate the help very much.

I am used to wireless through windows, so I decided to not explicitly set the ssid of my network and the encryption key, because I thought that it would show available networks through the wireless manager. It did not though. So, I will try entering the SSID this time. I have found that I can edit the configuration settings by changing the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 file.

I am at work right now, so I will try it in a few hours when I get off.

I will:
    set the ssid of the network and the Wep key

then:
    Code:
    dhclient wlan0
    or
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/network restart
    Is this to restart the network connection? I assume so.

Could I also use this command to start the connection?
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    I will post what I get here. Thanks again! :P

Just Joined!
    Ok. I have tried everything you guys have suggested, and I think I am making progress. But, I am still not able to get internet access.
    I reset my router and then turned encryption off so I can better troubleshoot (one less thing to worry about). I know that the router is good to go because my windoze box is getting a connection just fine after the changes.
    I started over and made a new connection through the configuration windows in 'drake. I specified the SSID for my network. After this, I verified all was well in my ifcfg-wlan0 file.
    Then I issued the command:
    Code:
    [root@localhost]#dhclient wlan0
    sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
    sit:0 unknown hardware address type 776
    Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:0f:b5:4e:a9:c7
    Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:0f:b5:4e:a9:c7
    Sending on socket/fallback
    DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
    DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
    bound to 192.168.1.102 -- renewal in 35915 seconds
    So, it is being assigned an IP addy. I also verified this on my router. It shows that it has granted it and it sees my Linux machine. I must be close.
    So then, I used the monitor connections window in 'drake. I selected to connect wifi. In the log it shows that it is making the ifup wlan0 call. At this point, it even shows data being sent and received for a few seconds. Then, it says that it cannot connect to the internet. So, thats where I am at.
    I have messed around with the card settings to see if anything works. But nothing. Some settings I am not sure about are:
    assign hostname from DHCP? this is a yes/no type of checkbox (Ihave tried both checked/unchecked)
    RTS/CTS? This is a long textbox I have left blank.
    Fragmentation? Also, a long textbox I left blank

If you have any suggestions/advice, I could use it! Thank you for your help thus far. :o

Quick question...can you ping the router, or does the link fail entirely?

You should be able to leave fragmentation and RTS/CTS as the defaults without any problems.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    When I try to ping, there is 100% packet loss. I tried to ping both ways (from the router and from my computer) and they both failed. I can't figure how that would happen.
    Sorry, I forgot to add this in my post.

Just Joined!
    Ok.
    So, I have tried a few more thiings:
    Code:
    ifup wlan0
    this works and there are no errors.
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -m
    I saw this on another post. Whenever I would reboot, I had to reconfig wlan0. After this command, I dont have to do that anymore. In the GUI, it says 'network is up on wlan0' in the right hand of the toolbar.
    I also tried setting wlan0 to a static ip addy. This seems to work just as good as dhcp, but no internet. I still cannot ping either way. This is really frustrating!?! I am not sure what I should try to do from here. Maybe try a different distro?
    Please help!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like I am in Linux hell. Does the penguin hate me? :drown:
    lol. just kidding, ....but really....

UPDATE:
    I was trying to see what all of the iw commands do and I came across something.
    When I used:
    Code:
    iwlist scan
    the output says that the router is 802.11b.
    But with:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0
    it shows that my card is using 802.11g. I was wondering if this could be the problem? My router is a linksys wrt54g and I have the mode set to mixed (both b/g). I tried changing it to g-only (on the router), but when I used iwlist again, it still says that the protocol is still 802.11b. Has anyone seen this before? I am pretty sure that an 802.11b card can work on an 802.11g network. But, I dont think it can the other way around.

Sorry it took me so long to reply; one of the companies my consulting firm supports had a domain controller go south on them (Windows was having kerberos issues, among other things - the entire sysvol share was missing!) and the onsite staff (it was in an international branch) had no clue how to fix it. We spent quite a while repairing that...seems they had been having "issues" for over two months, while the U.S. office (the one we actively support) has had no problems.

Have you reconfigured your firewall in the Mandrake Control Center? It's probably still configured to have your system using the default ethernet card from the install instead of your wireless card, which would keep you from doing...well...anything with the wireless card. Just walk through the little wizard thingy (Lord, I hate wizards) and make sure to select wlan0 as your interface instead of eth0.

And no, the penguin doesn't hate you...he's too full of love

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Flatline, you're the man! I went in and changed my default interface and it worked immediately. In fact, I am using wireless on my Linux box right now. I thank you very much!!!

It's PEANUT BUTTER JELLY time!!! PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast