Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello folks ! I have a weird functionality disappearance, associated with a bug. But the result is that I cannot open a new session (whether with the same user name ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED !] I cannot log off anymore o_O

Hello folks !

I have a weird functionality disappearance, associated with a bug.
    But the result is that I cannot open a new session (whether with the same user name or another user, wheter my current environment or another).

OK, more details maybe ? :o

- I'm with KDE 3.3 (gnome also installed besides it), Mandriva 2005 LE french. Plenty of things installed, and I'm pretty sure I didn't notice the change at once, so I can't thell what might have triggered that change.

- in the KDE menu, the only two choices given to me related to session management is to : (i'll translate the french into english, translation might be imperfect)
    .Quit environment
    .Lock session
    -> The choice to "Start a new session" has simply disappeared !

- The solution to log off ("quit environment") does not work. If I do so it offers me two choices : "quit KDE", and "Cancel".
    AND if I chose to quit KDE, I won't be brought to the "chose user" menu, the menu in which I can ask another user, such as root or myself, and chose the environment, KDE or Gnome.
    If I chose to quit KDE, i'll be directly brought into a console-looking environment, X exited : text-mode, probably the basicest console mode of Linux... i.e. X stopped.
    And then, the only thing I can do is to run "startx".
    When I write "I can do" it is literarily : I don't know the other things I could do, maybe I could chose to run gnome instead of KDE, run a user instead of another, but that I don't know how to do if it is possible. And honestly I don't care, that's not the thing I want to know dearest, i'd prefer to solve my problem :o
    Probably for the same reason, when asking to shutdown the machine (after I quit KDE) the machine won't shutdown but instead take me to the console mode. My only shutdown solution is pressing once the power button on my central unit

- that brings me to another problem which is probably related to it : when I start my computer, after Lilo, Mandriva boots... but ends in text mode, no graphic environment is loaded ! I don't have time to read the log, It seems there's some error text (the "warning" word always catches my eye) but alas, at that point, the startup log disappears and the console mode starts. The "pause" button does not work alas during startup mode.
    And yet, in KDE and Mandrake control panels, I had configured my system to automatically start graphical environment, with my user automatically logged.
    And yet, at the end of startup, I have to provide my login and password, and run startx.
    I searched LogDrake for that "warning" word but got something totally unrelated : "Jun 27 07:56:28 dhcp-241-997 postfix[8073]: warning: My hostname dhcp-241-997 is not a fully qualified name - set myhostname or mydomain in /etc/postfix/main.cf" which is of very little interest here, it seems.

I have checked all the configuration menus of KDE and Mandrake, and checked boxes that shouldn't let my system go wild like that. But yet, i'll be glad to do it again if it is suggested, I don't want to look cool but to solve my problem, and after all, it's certain there's one thing at least that I should have done, but yet that I haven't done yet

That brings me two questions :
    - please, do you know how to solve my problem ? ^_______^
    - at least, do you know if there is somewhere stored a log of the boot process ? So that I may take my time to read in detail whatever might be going wrong ?

I really want to solve that, so I'm ready to help, to search whatever way is suggested, to give whatever info you need on my system
    Thanks a lot if you can help ^_^

The logs you need are stored in /var/log.

As for your login problem, maybe the runlevel was changed.
    Look in /etc/inittab
    Level 3 is command mode. You will want 4 or 5.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Thank you, Budman7 ^_^

I investigated /etc/inittab and found runlevel to be at 5.

Code:
    id:5:initdefault:

[i](besides, just in case, I post the other parameters of the file )[/i]
    si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
    l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 0
    l1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 1
    l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 2
    l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 3
    l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 4
    l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 5
    l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 6

ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
    2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
    3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
    4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
    5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
    6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

For this, it seems it's allright.

I checked boot.log and it seems allright too.

However, I found another unnatural thing in the logs folder (thanksss !), in mdkkdm.log, here it comes :

Code:
    Jun 27 07:56:30 mdkkdm_config[8470] [b]error:[/b] Unrecognized key 'GreeterPos' in section [X-*-Greeter] at /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:39
    Jun 27 07:56:30 mdkkdm_config[8470] [b]error:[/b] Unrecognized key 'UserCompletion' in section [X-*-Greeter] at /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:55
    Jun 27 07:56:30 mdkkdm_config[8470] [b]error:[/b] Unrecognized key 'UserList' in section [X-*-Greeter] at /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:56
    Jun 27 07:56:30 mdkkdm_config[8470] [b]error:[/b] Invalid option value 'All' at /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:51

X Window System Version 6.8.2
    Release Date: 9 February 2005
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.3-25mdk-i686-up-4GB i686 [ELF] 
    Current Operating System: Linux dhcp-241-997 2.6.11-6mdk #1 Tue Mar 22 16:04:32 CET 2005 i686
    Build Date: 02 May 2005
    	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
    	to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Module Loader present
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jun 27 07:56:30 2005
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    Using vt 7
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): [b]Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device![/b]
    (EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
    [b](EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.[/b]

[b]Fatal server error:
    no screens found[/b]

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
    	 at http://wiki.X.Org
     for help. 
    Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
    For those errors

- all but the last error are things I don't understand. Yet, I have to check the wiki of X.org now, but alas, because of work, i won't have time till the next 24 hours. I'll also have to check the files the error message are pointing to. See you in 24 hours ;o)

- for the last error about the screen, it seems weird, i have configurated in the hardware menu of the mandrake control center that my screen was mitsubishi diamondpro 720, and the menu acknoledged it without a problem. I've been testing Mandrake since 10.1 and never had before a screen recognition problem.

Here's the data.
    Hmm, there's still noone to suddenly pop-up out of thin air with a crystal-clear explanation and a solution so easy a child could apply it ? :P
    ^^

Bleh.

I have searched wikis, online faqs, documentation, parsed config and log files.
    No result.

Finally, then, I remembered the "no screen found" error message.
    Then I went into the hardware tab of mandrake's control center. Even though my monitor was properly listed as the official monitor, from a list of well-known monitors, I chose to launch again the assistant. I chose again my monitor from the list.
    And guess what ?
    Now it works !

I really don't find this logical, oh no, not at all. But yet, as long as it works, I guess it's allright after all...
    But all those problems because I had to re-select my monitor from a list, it's not even laughable, it's ridiculous o_O
    Certainly some other wrongly twisted system parameter was reset or set right again in that process, but which one, that I'll never know.
    Well, anyway, I post here the results, just in case someone else has the problem too someday

Just Joined!

Smile top tip -thanks

Yeah, this worked for me too.

thanks again for saving a noobie a lot of time!