Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I try to install a program via an rpm file, a window appears and says "An rpm file with that name already exists: xxx", and it lists every program ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Strange things happening when installing programs...

When I try to install a program via an rpm file, a window appears and says "An rpm file with that name already exists: xxx", and it lists every program I have installed on the system... And it doesn't matter what program I try to install, the same thing happens every time. Is it somebody hwo has got any ideas?

that generally would mean that you are already using the same version of the program that the rpm contains...

Just Joined!
    Yeah, but say if I try to install azureus, every other program installed will be viewed with a warning message...

Try installing from the command line (with either urpmi or rpm) as that is more powerful.

Just wondering, maybe you have misunderstood the message ?

One thing that happened to me once in my many mandrake attempts, was that I wanted to install a rpm using mandrake control center. It told me the program had a certain dependancy. But to install that dependancy I had to uninstall the previous version of that dependancy. Alas, that previous version itself was the dependancy of maaaany programs. So if that previous version was uninstalled, it would have implied the uninstallation of every program it was a dependancy of... and that diplayed the list of the programs that would have had to be uninstalled.

Isn't that your problem, in fact ? If yes, welcome in "dependancy hell", a thing I don't know the solution.

Oh, btw, in case it's not that, for the command line, just open a konsole, log in a root (type su), and then run urpmi [program name, even a part of the name]