Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to play the game Unreal Tournament 2004 and I get this error when I try to load the game up... error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

libstdc++.so.5 Help Please!!!

I am trying to play the game Unreal Tournament 2004 and I get this error when I try to load the game up...

error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot openshared object file: No such file or directory
    Please help!!! I'm pretty new to Linux and all... I tryed to download some rpms because other websites lead me into thinking I needed libstdc++.so.5.

I have "libstdc++.so.6" and "libstdc++.so.6.0.3" in my '/usr/lib' directory... I am stumped!!! Please please help me!

Just Joined!
    If you haven't done that, add sources at http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php
    just follow instructions

then install libstdc++5 from contrib

Linux Engineer
    Go the libs folder, and do
    Code:
    ln -s libstdc++.so.6.0.3 libstdc++.so.5
    This way you make a symlink with the name of the 'missing' file (which in fact is there but in a more recent version). Big chance you won't see the complaint anymore

Let us know if it worked!
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini View Post
    Go the libs folder, and do
    Code:
    ln -s libstdc++.so.6.0.3 libstdc++.so.5
    This way you make a symlink with the name of the 'missing' file (which in fact is there but in a more recent version). Big chance you won't see the complaint anymore

Let us know if it worked!
    I was having the same problem. I had libstdc++.so.6 but IMB installation manager wanted libstdc++.so.5. I followed borromini's advice and it worked.
    Thanks borromini.