Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, You'll have to bear with me as I'm totally new to Linux, but I'm loving my experience so far I've just installed Mandrake 10.0 and as you'll probably ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gnome Not Listed

Hi All,

You'll have to bear with me as I'm totally new to Linux, but I'm loving my experience so far

I've just installed Mandrake 10.0 and as you'll probably be aware, KDE is the default desktop in this distro, but I really fancied trying out Gnome to see which one I prefer.

So I installed Gnome using the URPMI and it appeared to have downloaded and installed absolutely fine, I've even tried to remove it and re-install it to correct the problem I'm experiencing.

The problem I'm having is that when I go into my Autoload settings to change my default desktop to Gnome, it's not listed. The list contains KDE, Ice and a couple of others, but no Gnome. I've also tried to disable the Autologin and select Gnome manually when X has started, but still no Gnome in the list.

It seems like there's something simple I'm not doing, or I've done something wrong.

Any suggestions would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance,

Jan

Just Joined!
    If all else fails, have you considered redoing the installation process and switching the window manager to gnome? Then I imagine kde would install correctly if you find that you do not like Gnome. A personal opinion/suggestion would be to stick with Kde though. Gnome is a good window manager but in my opinion does not have as much to offer. But as I said, just my opinion. Hope I helped.

Just Joined!

Gnome not listed

I've tried to re-install Mandrake from scratch, but I'm still having the same issue.

I have noticed that there is a file conflict when I install Gnome, I get the following error:

There was a conflict during the installation:

gpgme conflicts with libgpme03_6-0.3.16-2mdk

So this could be the cause of the problem.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Jan

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Gnome not listed

I've tried to re-install Mandrake from scratch, but I'm still having the same issue.

I have noticed that there is a file conflict when I install Gnome, I get the following error:

There was a conflict during the installation:

gpgme conflicts with libgpme03_6-0.3.16-2mdk

So this could be the cause of the problem.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Jan

Well, unless both packages have tons of crucial dependancies, how about uninstalling both of them just in case ?

Just Joined!
    U mean uninstall gpgme and libgpme03_6-0.3.16-2mdk?

I just got hold of the DVD for Mandriva 2005 LE, so I'm gonna upgrade to that, which will most likely solve it, but I'll give that a try 1st, just to satisfy my curiosity

Thanks for your help

Jan