Find the answer to your Linux question:
Got a bit of an issue here, hopefully someone can help me out with this. I've had some troubles regarding sound in MDK 10.2 (Mandriva LE 2005) I currently have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound muted on startup of Mandriva 10 LE 2005

Got a bit of an issue here, hopefully someone can help me out with this. I've had some troubles regarding sound in MDK 10.2 (Mandriva LE 2005) I currently have a Sound Blastery Audigy 1 OEM, the soundcard works fine, just the fact that it's muted drives me nuts. I have KMixer set to to restore the audio on startup, but I want the sound to be at normal volume without having to check any option in KMixer.

I had to do a re-install of MDK 10.2, things got a bit messed up. I previously had ALSA 1.0.8 prior to the re-install. Immediately after I had it re-installed, the first thing I did was install the following RPM's:
    libalsa2-1.0.9-1mdk.i586.rpm
    libalsa2-devel-1.0.9-1mdk.i586.rpm
    libalsa-data-1.0.9-1mdk.i586.rpm

after those were installed, I downloaded and compiled ALSA 1.0.9b for my soundcard, as instructed on their site, alsa-project.org.
    The sound is working great. Except once again, I am presented with the same issue I had before. The volume is set to zero at startup, even after I logged in as root and typed alsactl store at the prompt.

Hi - I would like to try and answer this for you. One idea is to use alsamixer instead of Kmixer. Open a command line and type alsamixer. Turn everything up that you need (using the arrow keys to navigate left and right) then try doing what you did before:

# alsactl store

If that doesn't work, edit the file called /etc/rc.d/rc.local adding the line alsactl restore to the bottom.

That might work. If not, I'm also stuck.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso