Find the answer to your Linux question:
Operating system not found this is my first build- been using windows since i was five so u can guess my age (windows 95 first experience) well i decided to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Operating system not found

this is my first build- been using windows since i was five so u can guess my age (windows 95 first experience) well i decided to try linux looks and sounds like a cool learning experience and well im having problems both of my 3.2 gig hard drives western digital are blank & formated but when i insert the cd roms of mandrake 10.1 official nothing happens even without the cd that message appears but the cd works opens on other comp. so i decided to take one hard drive out put it in another comp and install that way then put it back well it installed but when i put the hard drive back sme message operating system not found are the drives corrupt? couldnt find any one with the same problem also when put the drive in comp number 2 which intalled it with it boots linux but comes up with this kernal error ANY IDEAS NEED HELP VERY DEPRESSED.......THNX

It sounds like that PC isn't set to boot from CD, and is jumping straight to the blank hard disc. Enter the BIOS by pressing F2,F10 or DEL depending on your system. Make sure cdrom is higher on the bootlist than your harddisc.

Just Joined!

os not found

have changed the boot order to cdrom first then floppy then hard drive but nothing happens. and now a new problem i insert the cd with my other blank hdd installed and it freezes up at the system load screen where it asks u if u want to enter bios press does this help?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you have access to another PC, try the CD to see if you have a bad burn. You can also check the MD5 checksums to make sure the CD-ROM is OK.
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Just Joined!

Re: Operating system not found

Quote Originally Posted by KenshinX

this is my first build- been using windows since i was five so u can guess my age (windows 95 first experience) well i decided to try linux looks and sounds like a cool learning experience and well im having problems both of my 3.2 gig hard drives western digital are blank & formated but when i insert the cd roms of mandrake 10.1 official nothing happens even without the cd that message appears but the cd works opens on other comp. so i decided to take one hard drive out put it in another comp and install that way then put it back well it installed but when i put the hard drive back sme message operating system not found are the drives corrupt? couldnt find any one with the same problem also when put the drive in comp number 2 which intalled it with it boots linux but comes up with this kernal error ANY IDEAS NEED HELP VERY DEPRESSED.......THNX
    well, first of all, don't stress, until linux's eventual domination over windows, it will still be hard to configure, it takes most people several attempts to even get it downloaded.

first of all, when our pc starts up, hit F2, or Delete, or whatever button you have to puch to get to your CMOS (or BIOS, whatever) and look around for boot order. make sure that CDROM is set to first to boot from.

If that doesn;t work, make sure that your CD's aren;t corrupt, or if you have the DVD version, that the ROM you are trying to use is a DVD ROM

Lastly, your Hard Drives may be too friggin small. the most generally accepted rule is that your hard drive should be, at minimum, 5 gigabytes big. and to be honest, even if you ran another OS, that Hard drive isn't going to get you very far...

Just Joined!
    Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but have you made sure your hard drive is correctly jumpered and cabled in the machine you want it to run in (the whole master vs. slave thing), and that the bios in that machine sees the hard drive? In the last few bioses I've had, you can go into the bios and get it to show you info about the drive if it sees it.

Just Joined!

os not found

i finally got it to boot and the hard drives arent to small i was also able to aquire a 20 gig hard drive but it was currupt tryin my best with the stuff i got dont get a lotta moneyworking where i do so this is the best i have for NOW will be getting the best soon a dual processor or a A64 jan of 06

Just Joined!
    oh and i have 3x 3.2gig hdd but i only use two until i get more fans for my case cause the way the case is set up the hard drives are practically on top each other and would cause heat problems and possibly damage them oh and in case u wondering its an old gateway 2000 case u kno the company the only gives u one fan in the case which is attached to the psu