Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I am using Mandriva 2005 LE. And I have made some updates through cooker sources... I have updated to KDE 3.4.1 and some programs for everyday use. And now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    bug
    Just Joined!

having 2 gcc versions installed in the same distribution

Hello

I am using Mandriva 2005 LE. And I have made some updates through cooker sources... I have updated to KDE 3.4.1 and some programs for everyday use. And now I have installed on my system: gcc (GCC) 4.0.1 (4.0.1-0.2mdk for Mandriva Linux release 2006.0). But I have realised that some aplications cannot be corretly compiled with this version of gcc but with: gcc (GCC) 3.4.3 (Mandrakelinux 10.2 3.4.3-7mdk).
    Now I know that it is possible to have installed both gcc versions. And that is what I need. But I don`t know how to do it --> that I wont crash my distribution.
    So I am asking you good people out there if you could help me, a newbiee, how to install the older version of gcc. And then how to compile aplications with this older version?

have a nice day,
    Bug

Read:
    http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html#multiple

Witch basically sais that you use "./configure --prefix=[dir]" on two different directorys for the two verions and then you make symlinks as for example: /usr/bin/gcc to the 3.4.3 release and a symlink /usr/bin/gcc2 to the 4.0.1 release.

bug
    Just Joined!
    Yes... I am doing by those instructions but when I type make bootstrap...system starts to compile. But then compiling stops with error message:
    gcc -c -g -gnatpg -gnata -I- -I. -Iada -I./ada ada/ada.ads -o ada/ada.o
    fatal error: system.ads is incorrectly formatted
    missing line for parameter: Preallocated_Stacks
    compilation abandoned
    make[2]: *** [ada/ada.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/vedro/Downloads/gcc-3.4.3/gcc'
    make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vedro/Downloads/gcc-3.4.3/gcc'
    make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

I have read here http://www.experts-exchange.com/Prog..._21462990.html that this problem is because I`m trying to install an older version on a new one?!
    Help me.... I realy need gcc 3.4.3 version...

Have a nice day,
    Bug

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    heh. So basically you're saying that you can't compile gcc-3.4.3 with gcc4? Haha. that's classic.
    It pains me to give this advice, but why not just grab an RPM of 3.4.3 install that way?

bug
    Just Joined!
    ellow....
    Yes, why don`t but there one very strange situation.... U have downloaded gcc-c++-3.4.3-7mdk.i586.rpm from the main sources... in the console typed urpmi gcc-c++-3.4.3-7mdk.i586.rpm but the system said that that package is already installed???!!
    Then I typed update-alternatives --config gcc to see what versions I can use and it has displayed to me:
    There are 4 programs which provide `gcc'.

Selection Command
    -----------------------------------------------
    1 /usr/bin/gcc-4.0.1
    2 /usr/bin/gcc-3.3.4
    *+ 3 /usr/bin/colorgcc
    4 /usr/bin/gcc-2.96

So where is gcc 3.4.3 If the system says that it is installed???
    Over the Mandrake Control Center in the section where you remove packages, there is no package gcc-c++-3.4.3-7mdk to be removed. So I have an idea to remove the package from the shell - urpmd and then installing it again. Would that be a vise decision?
    And from where do I hava gcc 3.3.4 installed?

Have a nice day,
    Bug

Maybe you have gcc-3.3.4 installed, have you checked if the folder /usr/bin/gcc-3.3.4 exists?
    If it does you dont have to install anything, just make a symlink to the gcc binary in it.

bug
    Just Joined!
    hmmm...there is no problem to use gcc 3.3.4 . When I type the update-alternatives --config gcc comand I can choose which version of gcc I want to use: Enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: And I have chosen 3.3.4, so the cgg --verion comand writes out:
    gcc --version
    gcc (GCC) 3.3.4 (Mandrakelinux release 3.3.4-5mdk)
    Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Now that is OK, but where could gcc 3.4.3 be if the system says that it is installed?
    Are there major diferences betwen 3.3.4 and 3.4.3?

have a nice day,
    Bug

Ah, it says that the package is already installed because the package is 3.x
    if you want both you have to install from source since urpmi cant install a package in another directory (I think).
    You can do a update by adding --update to the command as such:
    Code:
    urpmi --update gcc-c++-3.4.3-7mdk.i586.rpm
    but then you will loose the gcc-3.3.4 version. That shouldn't affect your system so much since most programs complies on either 3.x or 4.x and not the exact version.

bug
    Just Joined!
    hmmm...
    still says: Packges are already installed
    What to do?

have a nice day,
    Bug