Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just bought a Dell laptop mainly because they are cheap. Not my first choice, but I figured I could slap some linux on it and it wouldn't be so bad ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

"intel pro/100 ve" LAN on Inspiron

Just bought a Dell laptop mainly because they are cheap. Not my first choice, but I figured I could slap some linux on it and it wouldn't be so bad (F**ing HATE windows XP!!). Problem is I am very new to linux and of course not everything works after I installed Mandrake 10 (Though I was expecting this).

Anyway, does anyone know if I can set up the "intel pro/100 ve" ethernet card with one of the built in drivers? I downloaded the one from Intel's web site, but I don't know how to instal it. It looks like the driver is called "e100" which is on the list of built in drivers when I run the config tool in the hardware manager, but whenever I click on "e100" the hardware manager keeps running me in circles and never seems to do anything.

Any thoughts on how to get this to work, or tips on installing the intel driver I downloaded. (I have unzipped all of the files, and when I run "make install" I get this error: "Linux kernel source not found. stop".

sigh, Good times :S

Gord

Linux Engineer
    Do the following
    Code:
    # lspci

# dmesg

# lsmod
    and post the output of the commands here. The output will show you if your sound module (ie the driver) is loaded.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!

Re: "intel pro/100 ve" LAN on Inspiron

Quote Originally Posted by gordafurious
    Any thoughts on how to get this to work, or tips on installing the intel driver I downloaded. (I have unzipped all of the files, and when I run "make install" I get this error: "Linux kernel source not found. stop".
    You need to install the kernel-source rpm for your kernel version. So if you've updated your kernel beyond what's on the install CDs, you need to download and install that version of kernel-source.

The best thing is probably to download and install the new kernel for LE (2.6.11.12) and the kernel-source for it at the same time, if you haven't already got the new kernel. I think the new kernel was released yesterday or today.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close