Find the answer to your Linux question:
okay, yeah its nice to know that you have root permissions, untill you have 6 little icons in a row reminding you. every time i run the mandrake configuration panel, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

annoying authorization icon

okay, yeah its nice to know that you have root permissions, untill you have 6 little icons in a row reminding you. every time i run the mandrake configuration panel, it adds one more authorization icon. i mean i click the forget authorization button after im done doing whatever i was doing, and they all go away. but its just an annoyance, im not sure if there some sort of underlying problem, or if anyone else is even having this problem.
    i googled for it and i found one guy who was having the same problem, but nobody ever answered his question. so it kind of leaves me in the dark as to what could be going on here.

Screenshots please ?
    I never had that problem, I even have trouble understanding or imagining it...

Just Joined!
    If you're using KDE, it might be krootwarning acting up:
    $ rpm -qi krootwarning
    Name : krootwarning Relocations: (not relocatable)
    Version : 10.1 Vendor: Mandrakesoft
    Release : 2mdk Build Date: Wed 06 Oct 2004 09:09:54 AM PDT
    [...]
    Summary : Warning box displayed when you are using KDE with system administrator permissions.
    Description :
    This package contains a warning box displayed when you are using KDE with system administrator permissions.
    You might try uninstalling the krootwarning rpm, and see if that's where the problem lies. If that doesn't fix it, the problem lies elsewhere, and if it does, you can decide if you want to leave it uninstalled or if you want to fix it, perhaps by downloading another, perhaps updated instance and install that in place of the current package.

Just Joined!
    okay, uninstalled krootwarning and same problem...
    heres a screenshot
    http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/3...eenshot6bd.png

Hmmm, my guess is that it's a Gnome specific problem. I've never seen that in KDE.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    its gotta have something to do with gnome, because even with the krootwarning uninstalled it still likes to do that. thankfully i dont intend on keeping mandriva to all too much longer. im going to gentoo once i feel like im capable of it.
    because its also quite possible that its a mandriva issue, nobody else has had this problem... except for mandriva LE users.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFox
    its gotta have something to do with gnome, because even with the krootwarning uninstalled it still likes to do that. thankfully i dont intend on keeping mandriva to all too much longer. im going to gentoo once i feel like im capable of it.
    because its also quite possible that its a mandriva issue, nobody else has had this problem... except for mandriva LE users.
    Yes, Mandriva is more likely to contain bugs because the company tends to release more 'bleeding edge' software. It's possible that - if you download bug fixes for this release - the issue might be resolved. Or not
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    not, ive already downloaded every update possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFox
    not, ive already downloaded every update possible.
    All I can suggest then is that you post it as a bug on the Mandriva site. If you tell them which OS you're using and your kernel version, they should welcome this. They might fix it fairly quickly, and you would be contributing to the community.

If you do this, it would be worth searching around to see if anyone else has had an issue with this. It looks like a fairly complex problem, but there might be an easy fix for it.