Find the answer to your Linux question:
is it possible to use an .exe file on linux cause ive been usin linux for almost a week now and havin trouble using the files i loved on windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

.exe file on linux

is it possible to use an .exe file on linux cause ive been usin linux for almost a week now and havin trouble using the files i loved on windows like win Avi or games ive downloaded also when i click on a .rpm file which i suppose is for linux i get an error message saying this after i click install it is there some kind of program needed for using these file

error message: some package requested cannot be installed Aim-1.5.286-1.i386(due to unsatisfied libstde++-libc6.1-1.so.2) do you agree

i installed this package libstde++-libc6.1-1.so.2 from the mandrake cd and it said all packages requested install or something like that but this still pops up. ANY help accept THNX.

.exe files don't run nativly on linux, though you can run some through WINE.

If you are unsuro about installing things in linux you might want to have a look at Jasons tutorial on the subject.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Re: .exe file on linux

Quote Originally Posted by KenshinX
    is it possible to use an .exe file on linux
    Yes, but it may or may not work correctly. EXE files are designed for Microsoft Windows, and Linux is not MS Windows. The program you're looking for is something like WINE or Transgaming's Cedega

ive been usin linux for almost a week now and havin trouble using the files i loved on windows like win Avi or games ive downloaded
    AVI files can be viewed in Mplayer or Xine as long as you have the correct codecs installed. Do a search in the forum, this question has been asked a lot.

Most games you download will not work in Linux. There are Linux versions of some commercial games such as Doom 1-3, Quake 1-3, Unreal Tournament GOTY/2003/2004 and Neverwinter Nights.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Files in Linux are not required to have the .exe or .bat extension to be executable in Linux.

Any file name can be executable by using the chmod +x command.

However for the most part on files native to Linux will operate properly without some sort of emulator.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

Just Joined!
    thnx guys both programs work for what im doing and not being mean or anything but win avi was a program needed to convert avi movies downloaded to mpeg or dvd for vcd or dvd vids THNX for the help tho