Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, after searching high and low, here i am again, posting... We've got two machines, one an XP and the other our Linux box. Both are connected to a Linksys ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mandriva 10.1 networking w / Windows XP

Well, after searching high and low, here i am again, posting...
    We've got two machines, one an XP and the other our Linux box. Both are connected to a Linksys wireless router, XP through a Cisco wireless card and the Linux box through a cable. The router is connected to the internet by way of a Speedster cable modem. Both computers can surf and for a while before we replaced the wired router w / the wireless, the Linux could see and r/w to the XP. At this point all we're interested in is being able to r/w to the XP. We were even able to set up the CUPs sys. before and print to the little laser printer on the XP but obviously we don't have any printers avail. anymore. i'm basically trying to just work through the Control Center 'cause i'd like to be able to show some others here in Mexico how to use a Linux machine. At this point the Linux box is set up on eth0 and DHCP automatic. i think my XP Cisco card is IP 192.168.1.119; Subnet 255.255.255.0; Default 192.168.1.1; and DNS 192.168.254.254. i think the router is set up to do the DHCP as automatic. On my XP all i can see is something that says Samba 3.0.1.0 when i click on the "home" button. When it opens up Samba i see the same printers that are connected to the XP as well as something that has to do with Adobe -- pdf? but i can't see any directories or subdir. on the Linux mach., but like i said earlier, that's no prob. at this point.
    Arg. Any ideas? Thanks in advance guys and gals. And have a nice week! Yours truly, fred, from sunny México.

So let me get this right? You wish to have read/write access to an XP machine from your Linux machine?

From what I can understand from your post is that you hvae set up a Samba Server on your linux box and hence you can see the printers and the like which have been setup on the linux box while you are on your XP box.

Quote Originally Posted by frazelle09
    On my XP all i can see is something that says Samba 3.0.1.0 when i click on the "home" button. When it opens up Samba i see the same printers that are connected to the XP as well as something that has to do with Adobe -- pdf? but i can't see any directories or subdir. on the Linux mach., but like i said earlier, that's no prob
    The reason you can't see any folders which are stored on your linux box while you are at the XP machine is that the Samba server was set up to either share only one directory usually /home/user-name or, it was set up to share no directory. A helpful document for setting up a samba server is called "The Unofficial SAMBA howto", it will tell you how to set up a samba server with sharing enabled for various directories and peripherials.

Now I am going to assume that your XP machine's C drive is formatted as NTFS. unfortunately, NTFS write support is almost non-existent and what ever support exists can probably damage your NTFS partition if you try to write to it. If you want the linux box to be able to write to the XP box, the XP box must have a FAT partition as linux does have full read/write support for FAT partitions.

Hope this helps.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Thank you!

Dear AlexK

Thank you very much! Will check out the Howto you referenced. In the meantime i ran the Set Up a Home or Small Office Network again and managed to get the XP at least on its own network again with the Samba as well as a XP that we have upstairs. i also ran some sort of Samba wizard which i found on the "desktop" , but not through the Mdk Control Center (i wonder what the abbrev. for Mandriva is going to be...) and managed to get the Linux box on the same network (called Home instead of MSHome). When i used the browser with smb//home/ on Linux, all three came up and was able to browse the shared files on the upstairsXP!!! The XP box downstairs can also browse the one upstairs, so i figure we finally had a good day even though cannot browse the downstairs XP, the one i originally had problems with. Several months back before going to the wireless router, we were able to access the downstairs XP as well as r/w to it. So, Alexk, have a nice evening and again, thanks a lot!!!