Find the answer to your Linux question:
Wierd thing just happened on my server, I rebooted it, and I can no longer surf the internet! Here's what I know: -The Eth0 module loads with the [OK] -Shoreline ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

My Internet Won't work!!!!

Wierd thing just happened on my server, I rebooted it, and I can no longer surf the internet!

Here's what I know:
    -The Eth0 module loads with the [OK]
    -Shoreline takes a while to load after the Eth0 but still gives the [OK]
    -I can see the computer on my router
    -The connection icon in the bottom right corner says I'm connected
    -I can't ping it the server, logon remotely, or browse any pages on the internet
    -I don't believe I touched anything

Please help!
    -->Nikosapi

Just Joined!

DHCP?

Hi,

You can't ping the server? You might have a IP-adress problem.
    Does your router provide DHCP ( gives all connected computers an IP-adress) If so, are your configurations in Eth0 set to DHCP?

Your router has an IPadress (eks: 192.198.0.1) If it has a DHCP server it will provide adresses (eks: 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254)

Normally if it is a server you will have a fixed IP-adress. Then on your server in configuration of Eth0 you also need to set the Router Ip adress and DNS adress before you can surf the net. If those are ok. try to ping all those adresses to check if they are correct.

Linux Newbie
    -I'm not using DHCP I asigned my server a static ip address on my router and I made sure that my server has the same ip that I set on the router.
    -More wierd stuff, now when I boot, at the login screen, instead of saying "Welcome to LocalHost" it says "Welcome to 192" and when I'm in terminal instead of saying "[nikosapi@localhost home]" it says "[nikosapi@192 home]" and at the top of the window it says "nikosapi@192.168.0.1:/home/nikosapi-Shell-Konsole"
    -I tried to ping my router and these are the results:
    Code:
    [root@192 nikosapi]# ping 192.168.0.1
    PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data
    From 192.168.0.101 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
    Ping: Sendmsg: operation not permited
    ~cut~
    From 192.168.0.101 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
    Ping: Sendmsg: operation not permited
    --- 192.168.0.1 ping satistics ---
    4 packets transmited, 0 received, +6 errors, 100% packet loss, time 3160ms
    Another wierd thing I noticed is that at boot right after Eth0 comes up (it says [ OK ]) something called Shorewall (I believe it's a firewall?) comes up and takes a long time to load, it says [ OK ] but I never remeber it taking so long.
    hope I gave enough info,
    -->Nikosapi

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Activate Ethernet controller?

Check this:

Is Eth0 active? It loads ok, but that doesn't mean it's active. I had a similar problem on a Redhat Server once. Go into the configuration of Eth0 and check if it's set to Inactive.

You have a fixed IP: 192.168.0.101 on your server and 192.168.0.1 on the router I guess? Hopefully you don't have the same Ip on both. If so change it on the server. Normally you use Fixed IP-adresses to servers and printers and DHCP to workstations.

Else, check your nettwork cables, check if there is light in the nettwork diodes on router and server (usually where you plug in the nettwork-cable).

Else it's a strange answer it gives you: Ping: Sendmsg: operation not permittet.

If you still don't find any solution give this info:
    Can you reach any of those IP-adresses from another machine?
    Nettwork cables ok? (Router sees when you plug in the nettwork cable)
    IP-adresses for Server and Router
    Is Eth0 Active?

Linux Newbie
    Allright, very wierd things happening.
    I uninstalled ShoreWall because as I mentioned earlier it was acting funny when I was booting. And now my internet WORKS!!!
    Can someone please explain to me what shorewall does, and if it's important to have when running a server, I know it's somekind of firewall but I was reading that it has something to do with ip tables?
    Thank you janhelge for trying to help me,
    -->Nikosapi

Linux Newbie
    *bump*