Find the answer to your Linux question:
In have two soundcards. I use ALSA. How do I select which one to be used? (It currently uses the wrong one for audio i/o.)...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Selecting soundcard

In have two soundcards. I use ALSA. How do I select which one to be used? (It currently uses the wrong one for audio i/o.)

I would run alsaconf in a terminal. This should bring up a menu giving you a choice of soundcards. Not sure if you need to log in as root to do this. Try it and see.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    I did that, but now I get no sound at all. I restarted the computer but it is the same. When I open Kaffeine for example, I get an error message about alsa. "can't init driver ALSA".

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You will need to select the right driver for your particular card. The default one chosen by your system might not be right.

This - unfortunately - can be a case of trial and error. I use a fairly low end Soundblaster card and it works with the snd-emu10k driver.

Look under 'Configure your computer'. You need to be root to change your driver. There's a list in there under your soundcard settings.

After getting this sorted (and my optimism is boundless) you might find that your sound is muted. There are quite a lot of old threads which you can search to solve this one! Hope this points you in the right direction. ALSA and sound issues are a common problem judging by the number of posts.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso