Find the answer to your Linux question:
why i can paste file in NTFS disk? and i can't make new folder......... why?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

using NTFS in LE2005

why i can paste file in NTFS disk?
    and i can't make new folder.........
    why?

THis is because linux can't write to ntfs (well it can, but this can leed to a corrupted disk).

Though support is slowly comming better, the problem is that MS will not release details on NTFS, so linux developers have to reverse engineer support for it.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

converting

so i need to convert my disk to fat32???
    where i can convert it? in linux or in windows?
    how to convert without damage the data?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Back up every piece of work product and anything you dont have cd's for then reinstall windows is the easiest then reinstall grub or lilo to the mbr
    There is also a pkg that lets you write to ntfs but i cant remember the name of it
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Engineer
    if it is a disk that you want both windows and linux to access, and you are not installed on that disk, you can just use cfdisk to change the type and then make a fat32 filesystem on it from within linux.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Or else, with windows, you also have tools to edit, convert, and manage hard disks and partitions.

DiskDrake is good for Mandriva, but yet, if there's an application for windows that didn't yet meet its match in the linux world, that's Powerquest Partition Magic.

With Partition Magic you can easily do everything to your partitions. Everything.
    Including converting from NTFS to fat32 without corruption risks. There are wizards for various tasks, including a wizard to convert a partition.

If you're running windows XP or 2K, you can also click on... err oh shiet, I know the french word but not the english word... In french it's "poste de travail" : that's the icon that, when double-clicked, will display a list of every of the partitions + cd/dvd readers + floppy. So, if you right-click the "poste de travail", you will have a submenu called "manage your computer", and from there you will have a microsoft's tool to manage partitions. That tool is not as powerful and easy to use as partition pagic, but it's free and natively installed with windows.
    One limit : the partition containing windows itself MUST keep its original format. If during installation it was selected to first format the drive to NTFS (i.e. if your current windows partition is NTFS ^^), you must keep the partition to NTFS format.

Linux Engineer
    Poste de travail means desktop in English I presume
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Yeah right, DESKTOP, that was it, thanks ^____________^

Just Joined!

need backup??

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    if it is a disk that you want both windows and linux to access, and you are not installed on that disk, you can just use cfdisk to change the type and then make a fat32 filesystem on it from within linux.

if i use cfdisk? need i to backup the data in my disk?

Generally speaking, unless you're used to doing this and know exatly what you're doing, it's always better to do a backup before such an operation.