Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've recently became aware of the new KDE 3.4 and Mandriva LE came with KDE 3.3.2. I'm wanting to upgrade it, but have no internet access from Linux right now. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where to download KDE 3.4 and an RPM problem.

I've recently became aware of the new KDE 3.4 and Mandriva LE came with KDE 3.3.2. I'm wanting to upgrade it, but have no internet access from Linux right now. (Thank you Lucent.) Anyway, where can i download it as an RPM or as source and how would I go about installing it? I found the RPMs for Red Hat and Fedora, but figured that might not work, and the DE is a little important to take a risk on like that.
    On another note, whenever I try to download an RPM from some sites, Real Player pops up and opens the page and tries to play the file. What gives? Real Player is not set to play anything on my PC. This occurs under Windows XP SP2 w/ Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4.

you can download the rpms, but kde is a very large package with close to 100 rpm's, all of which have to be installed in the proper order.

Read this for more information on getting kde. Your better bet is once your linux is connected to the internet, add a mirror that has the kde 3.4 packages to your urpmi sources.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Yep, the only problem with that is I was going to download the RPMs from a broadband connected computer (I have 56k) and put them on a thumb drive to bring to mine. I've already looked at the KDE site, but that did not help me too much.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    OK, i'm not an expert so be aware that my advice might be risky, heh ? ^^

You can install RPMs from the internet, but also from a local source, fortunately.
    In other words you can download all the RPMs into a folder using the broadband connexion to which you can have access. Burn all this into a CD or DVD. Then, back on your computer, copy the folder on your hard disk (more comfortable than having to use your cd-reader). And in the mandrake control center, software manager, chose to add sources, and select the folder with your RPMs. Now when you are in the RPM-installation menu of the MCC, among the search results, will be displayed the rpms placed on your hard disk.

Another solution : copy the rpm folder on your hard disk. Don't add it as a media source. But then you can go into that folder and run a konsole, and then run "urpm" followed by the name of the package you want to install. You could also do "urpm *" to install them all, but i'm pretty certain that is not a good idea wish such many RPMs as for KDE.

Just Joined!
    well, I also have Gnome installed, and while I'm on the subject of GUIs (and to keep from flooding the boards) I have a question about it. I installed it with the package manager, and would like to switch between it and KDE every once in a while. However, it is not in my "sessions" menu on my login screen. How do I get it there or where I can login to it?