Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone i just tried to install Mandrake 9.2 on VMWare Workstation. But according to the VMWare manual help for mandrake 9.2 installation that i need to install VMWare Tools ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mandrake 9.2 enquiry

Hi everyone i just tried to install Mandrake 9.2 on VMWare Workstation. But according to the VMWare manual help for mandrake 9.2 installation that i need to install VMWare Tools to the machine.

I am asking how am i suppose to do this?

I've tried to use the mount cdrom etc function that it has in the manual that explains the steps to mount and install it from there, but it doesnt work for me.

Im just wondering what i am doing wrong? or what i need to do.

Here's what i do

Bootup the virtual p.c (VMWare)

Wait for it to to get prompt

logon as root

then at the command line i type in mount dev/cdrom but im not sure what happens after that because it comes up with an error mounting this device its non existance or something.

This is the best i can explain it for now, if you need more details then feel free to ask away, but yeah im sort of stuck and need some guidance with this VMWare with Mandrake stuff.

I have tried installing it with windows, but i got chicken at the last minute.... its all explained below. Hopefully..in simple terms.

Please take into consideration that a duel booting with Windows XP at th emoment is not an option as my second hard drive is only 10G and when i did try it it only gave me 280MB of space to install the packages... so i might have fiddled with something wrong.. there. i also have a main hard drive with windows XP on it, but i have split it up into 3 different partions so i could have windows on one drive, program files on one drive and my huge data i have, on the other

its been a few days now, anyone willing to give me some advice?

if you don't have anything on your 2nd drive, why don't you let mandrake autoallocate space for you on that drive? It surely will give you more than 280 Mb of space to play around with.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    if you don't have anything on your 2nd drive, why don't you let mandrake autoallocate space for you on that drive? It surely will give you more than 280 Mb of space to play around with.
    thats the second hard drive i used. Im not entirely sure why it only gave me 280MB to play around with .

What you should do is delete whatever partition currently exists on the 2nd hard drive and select the auto-allocate button. It usually gives 3x RAM for swap then a 60/40 split on the remainder for / and home.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

well i managed to get it installed on the virtual pc , i duel booted it with windows and amazingly it worked so lol thats great.

hahaha still analysing whether its worth to mess around with it on my actual P.C