Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed Mandriva 2005. This is my first install and it has gone well till now. When it boots up it asks me for the user name and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

command line

I have just installed Mandriva 2005. This is my first install and it has gone well till now. When it boots up it asks me for the user name and password which I put in. The problem is the next line which reads as follows;
    [derek@localhost ~$] then a flashing cousor. What must I type in there?
    Does anyone know?

The next time it asks after booting, type in "root" for username, then root's password when it asks. The blinking courser will now end in # rather than $. type:
    Code:
    kdm
    And press enter. This will bring up a "sign in manager," or kdm. Then, choose which session you want, gnome, kde etc.. Now sign in with your username and password rather than root and you should boot into a desktop environment or, "D.E." Good luck.

Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

kdm?

I did as you said and after I put in kdm, the next line is just like the first

[root@localhost ~]#

Any ideas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So it just went straight back to the courser? Did it act like it was trying to do something but gave up? After logging in as root, rather than kdm, try...
    Code:
    startx
    Tell me what happens...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie
    if

startx

doesn't work, try logging in as root like before and typing

init 5

this should bring up the graphical interface for mandriva.

It sounds like you didn't configure your monitor/video adapter during the last phase of the install. When I installed Mandriva 2005 LE on my laptop I had to configure monitor/video adapter and NIC during the last phase of installation.

Just Joined!
    The pc I am using @ work has on board vga and sound. Does this matter?
    I saw during the install that they gave me options. Should I put in the Sis vga settings there?

Yeah you should have precised that. Remember, during the installation process, near the end, came a step where, inside a list, are detailed the things that would be installed and the hardware that was recognized and had to be configured ? During that process, you should have clicked the "video/graphic card/monitor/display" (hell, I don't remember the word ) settings, and tell the sytem what are your precise settings, monitor and video card, using a very easy wizard.

But nevermind, this is not the end of the world. The simplest is to reboot with the mandriva installation dvd/cd. When asked what to do, chose "upgrade", it will skip most steps. You'll be brought after a few steps back to the installation list, and then make sure to configure your display settings, this time ;o)