Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey i just recieved a laptop from my friend, which i voulenteered to install linux on it for her. I installed the new version of Mandrivia 2005 because suse did ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

running DVD's on a laptop with Mandrivia 2005

Hey i just recieved a laptop from my friend, which i voulenteered to install linux on it for her. I installed the new version of Mandrivia 2005 because suse did not work correctly. but ive run into a problem, it will not play standard DVDs. I put it in Xine and it said that i did not have the right access privlidges. but when i went to Kaffine it said that i needed a dvd codec of some sort. could anybody supply me with a list of required librarys or RPMs would be even better that i would need to play DVDs on the laptop.

Linux User
    I'm not too sure about the rights access, but to play DVDs, I do know that you need to have installed libdvdcss. If urpmi is installed, you can just urpmi libdvdcss.

Hope this helps.

Here's the site with the libraries and codecs.
    http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/

Get the libxine, libdvdcss , and w32codec rpms and install them.

Just Joined!

dvds

I'm using mplayer for dvds and I always wondered why I could never watch dvds in linux.
    answer- proprietary codecs for encryption... I had to get them from PLF via URPMI.
    now, no problems!