Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I recieved a hybrid Mandrake (this was before it was renamed Mandriva)/ Windows ME machine as a gift. It worked perfectly until I tried to add a second hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Second Hard Drive Addition

Hello,

I recieved a hybrid Mandrake (this was before it was renamed Mandriva)/ Windows ME machine as a gift. It worked perfectly until I tried to add a second hard drive (OS: Windows '95 ) to it.
    Now the Windows portion of the hard drive works perfectly, but the Mandrake part boots up in some sort of fail-safe mode.
    When I tell the computer to boot up in Linux mode, it shows something that looks like a Konsole. Removing the second hard drive does not solve the problem.
    I've checked several books, and none of them say anything about a fail-safe mode. Can anyone please give me advice? I'm a complete Linux newbie, but I will try to give you any information you need.
    Thank you!

Linux Newbie
    The most easyest way ( i think) to solve this problem is make a upgrade.

You can do this :
    Code:
    1. Insert the Mandrake 1 cd
    2. Select Upgrade
    3. And follw it's instruction
    By this upgrade you will not lose your data and also your setting.

S. M. Ibrahim
    Registered Linux User # 394440

Pentium-IV 3.00 Ghz(Cache -2MB, 64 bit), 512 MB RAM , 128 MB agp, 160 GB Hdd (SATA)

Linux Guru
    By "fail safe", I think you mean it is booting into a minimal mode for the purpose of allowing you to repair your system so you can boot properly. While upgrading the system will make the problem go away, depending on your situation, you may want to try to fix the problem. Unlike another popular OS, Linux usually gives information and means for repairing problems for those who wish to do that.

During booting, there are messages that are displyed on the screen. If you read the messages, you may be able to see clues to the problem. After booting, enter the command dmesg and see what's there.

What is the arrangement of the drives in your computer? When you start your computer, enter BIOS setup to see the order that your drives are listed. They should be in oder of:
    • primary master
      primary slave
      secondary master
      secondary slave
    If the new drive is listed before the old drive, that could create a problem. And if the old drive was disturbed, that could create the problem. Or it may just be that your filesystem is somewhat corrupted and needs to be repaired before booting normally.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thank you both,

drakebasher, by failsafe I mean that it doesn't initialize any KDE, it gives me a screen and lets me log in. There's no mouse, just typed commands. The easiest way I can compare it is to a Konsole, or booting in Window's MS DOS.

I'm following your advice first. My linux/windows ME hard drive is the primary master, and my other drive is the primary slave.

When I booted up in Linux, it told me that Haa7 was not cleanly mounted. I let it fix the errors, and it repaired the filesystem. However, when I booted up again, it gave me the same errors, fixed them, and went on. I checked this several times, and it's fixing the same errors each time it boots.

When I used the dmesg, I got a huge line of code. What am I looking for?

I'm sorry if I'm being vague, I'm new to Linux and still trying to figure out how it works. If you want any more information on anything, tell me how to get it and I will do my best.

Thank you for all your help!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by technofaerie
    I'm sorry if I'm being vague, I'm new to Linux and still trying to figure out how it works.
    You're doing fine. So the "fail-safe" mode is actually Linux. The graphical interface (GUI) is just a pretty overlay. It's the command line interface (CLI) that does all the work and that's what you've got. Something like
    Code:
    [yourname@yourbox ~]$
    In Linux, the command line is your friend.

The matter of your hda7 getting (or appearing to get) the same error repeatedly is troublesome. If we believe the filesystem checking routine and conclude that the drive has some bad spots (it can happen), you might try badblocks. I don't have experience with this, so...

dmesg has lots to say. If your system was, as I thought, not booting through, the last several lines of dmesg may have been useful. Since is IS booting okay, except for strarting the GUI, dmesg may not offer much for this.

If Linux boots okay, but not the GUI, it's a configuration problem. What happens when you do 'startx'? When you changed your drive, did you change your mouse? or monitor? or anything else?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    Hi drakesbasher,

Thanks so much for all your help and encouragement.

When I added the second hard drive, I changed quite a lot. I only have space for one computer, and the Linux one had some hardward that wasn't as good as my first machine. I know I replaced the monitor, speakers, added a network card(not connected to anything, that's a work in process ), movie card, and several other things. I can't remember them all; that was all about 9 months ago. The Linux stopped working immediately after that.

I tried using the startx, my screen binked in and out about three times, then it wrote about two screens of code too fast for me to read it, and finished with this error:
    Fatal Server Error:
    No screens found.

XIO: Fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on xserver "0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining
    I have no idea what that means, but maybe it can help.

Thank you again!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Linux
    Fatal Server Error:
    No screens found.

XIO: Fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on xserver "0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining
    Okay, now we have something. It appears that there is in fact nothing wrong with your Linux, just with your graphics configuration. And probably just with the monitor portion of the configuration file. The file that needs fixed is /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/xorg.conf depending on what version of X windows you have. You can read the file and scroll up and down with this command:
    Code:
    less /etc/X11/XF86Config
    ...or...
    less /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Press 'q' to quit from the less command. The sections of interest begin with a lines that read "Section Monitor" and "Section Screen" or something similar. A section has several lines until it is closed with a line like "EndSection". I think that either the monitor model or the screen resolution need to be changed.

There is a program to re-configure the display automatically, but I'm not sure of the name since it varies from one distro and version to another. You may be able to find the right file by either:
    • search these forums (hit 'go' with no search term to jump to advanced search) for your Mandrake version and the terms 'X' and 'configure'.
      ...or...
      find the command in your system using the command apropos. This command will return commands with brief descriptions which are related to the argument that you enter. The command grep can be used to narrow the number of candidates returned by apropos. Finally, the man command will open the manual page for a command so you can get the full details.
    So.... Try:
    Code:
    apropos X
    (should get lots of stuff.  narrow it like this:)
    apropos X | grep configure
    (should get just a few things.  Maybe 'XF86configure' is one of them:)
    man XF86configure
    (press 'q' to quit the man command)
    In the second command, the character before 'grep' is the pipe: you may find it on the same key as the backslash, or maybe somewhere else nearby.

You should also do a web search (or check your manual if you have one) for the specs for the monitor: horizontal sync or frequency, vertical sync or refresh rate and resolution. "Movie card"? is that a video display card: if yes, that's probably the problem. We'll need the model number. Do a web search through www.google.com/linux with search terms of the card model number. Lets hope it is Linux compatible for what you want to use it for.

Cheers~
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    Hi Drakesbasher,

I've tried pluging in my old monitor (the one I know worked with Linux), and that hasn't fixed the problem. I'll pull out the video card next and see if that fixes the problem. I'm not sure what the card is, as it's about 8 or so years old.

If I find out, I'll do some googling around to see if it is compatable.

Thanks for all your help, assistance, and support.

Just a small remark : if you're only about making your system recognize your screen and video card, you can reboot with mandriva/mandrake's installation cd/dvd, chose "upgrade", and there after a few minutes, you can chose, again, which is your monitor and your video card.
    Selecting "generic" monitor so that the screen will work its way into graphical and not console mode at least (with the risk that it will nuke your eyes : my CRT blinks terribly in 60hz >_<) might be a solution to that maybe.

Just Joined!
    Dear Sabin,

I removed the video card and the Linux now works. It's a nice card, and I can't tell from web searches if it is compatable or not. It already recognizes my monitor as "generic", is there anything I can do for the video card to the same effect?

If so, where can I download the installation CD? My computer was a hand-me-down, and unfortunately if it did come with an installation CD I cannot find it. : (

Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast