Find the answer to your Linux question:
I get the following error while trying to "make" anything: Code: make -C /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk/build M=/home/fieldtest/ov51x-modified/ov51x-1.65-1.11-mark.modified modules make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk/build: No such file or directory. Stop. make: *** [all] Error 2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Automake Suddenly Broken in Mandriva

I get the following error while trying to "make" anything:

Code:
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk/build M=/home/fieldtest/ov51x-modified/ov51x-1.65-1.11-mark.modified modules
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    Make was working fine the other day. I think this issue just started after I updated Mandrake from Mandrake Control Center. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Googling this error message brings up a few results but I couldn't find resolutions in any of those.

I'm not sure that your error message means Make is broken. Which package were you trying to compile when you got that message? Perhaps there are some dependencies which haven't been met.

Those error messages aren't always descriptive about a specific problem. If you were trying to compile something, you might check out the Make file for that package. That should indicate which dependencies need to be met. Try using 'more Makefile' or 'cat Makefile' or 'less Makefile' ... etc.

My guess is you're trying to compile a new kernel. Am I correct? If so, you'll need to install the source files for your kernel. These aren't included in a default Mandriva install, and you need to load them from your installation dvd.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    I figured it out, for some reason when I used the system configuration tool (part of the Mandriva GUI) to update my kernel it screwed things up. Part of my 2.6.11-6mdk kernel got deleted and the source to 2.6.11-12mdk was downloaded but not installed. I had to manually compile my 2.6.11-12mdk source, install it and configure lilo to allow me to boot to either kernel. I'll have to reload any 3rd party modules that I had before (a task in itself) to the new kernel. Things look stable in 2.6.11-12mdk so I will be removing my 2.6.11-6mdk kernel soon. Make works once again now that the new kernel is installed.

Well done for working all that out!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso