Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have ntfs and fat32 partitions along with ext2 on my hard disk. I am accessing the ntfs and fat32 partitions with help of mount command in Linux. To access, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounting partition

I have ntfs and fat32 partitions along with ext2 on my hard disk. I am accessing the ntfs and fat32 partitions with help of mount command in Linux. To access, i have to mount the partitions everytime i boot my computer. I want to know how to make mounting of partitions permanent across boots without having to mount everytime.

oz
    forum.guy
    Have you added them to your fstab file?

Just Joined!
    No i didnt. i like to know how to include those partitions in this file (fstab). pls reply.

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's a howto for editing your /etc/fstab file:

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

Basically, you'll be adding the commands you've been using to mount the partitions to your fstab file, but possibly with some modifications. There's a section there about ntfs and fat32 partitions.

Linux Newbie
    Ha , i used mandrake 10. And there i never need to mount any partation.

It's always done by system with every boot.

Please check /mnt/ for your drives.
    S. M. Ibrahim
    Registered Linux User # 394440

Pentium-IV 3.00 Ghz(Cache -2MB, 64 bit), 512 MB RAM , 128 MB agp, 160 GB Hdd (SATA)

Linux Engineer
    Ibrahim, that's because your Mandrake already put all your partitions in your fstab at boot. Mandrake is not more powerful than any other linux distro, you know .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Ibrahim, that's because your Mandrake already put all your partitions in your fstab at boot. Mandrake is not more powerful than any other linux distro, you know Smile.
    Yep, i know this. Here i just want to say, as saithilak using mandrake , he no need to mount his partation.
    S. M. Ibrahim

Pentium-IV 3.00 Ghz(Cache -2MB, 64 bit), 512 MB RAM , 128 MB agp, 160 GB Hdd (SATA)

Just Joined!
    Its working fine. thanx ozar. I like to know one more point.Though i made changes in fstab file , i could access mounted partitions only through root and not through user login. I tried chmod options and tried changing mounting options in fstab files but still i couldnt access from userlogin. I like to know how to access mounted partiotions from user login.

oz
    forum.guy
    if everything is setup correctly in /etc/fstab, you might need to add your user to the proper group in /etc/group

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by saithilak
    Its working fine. thanx ozar. I like to know one more point.Though i made changes in fstab file , i could access mounted partitions only through root and not through user login. I tried chmod options and tried changing mounting options in fstab files but still i couldnt access from userlogin. I like to know how to access mounted partiotions from user login.
    I can't understand, which version of mandrake you are using?

I use 9 and 10 of mandrake. In these version i never need to mount my self even removable disk.
    S. M. Ibrahim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast