Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello all! I'm not an experient user of Linux, but I'm not also a complete noob (can install programs through console, do some C programming and compiling on it, etc.), ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Error using Mandrake's 10.1 update utility

Hello all!
    I'm not an experient user of Linux, but I'm not also a complete noob (can install programs through console, do some C programming and compiling on it, etc.), but not much.
    I went to Mandrake's Control Center, and tried to update my Mandrake, as there are many updates for this version of mine. When I used my Speedtouch 330 USB Modem, all worked fine, but now that I use an ADSL Router (bought it because it is easier to configure Internet with it, am I in Linux or in Windows). And when the update manager tries to get a list of mirror servers, It gives me an error saying it can't resolve the Mandrake server with the mirrors list. I have an SMC ADSL Barricade, router's firewall is on. I would be glad if you could help.

Edit: If you don't know why this problem is due to, please tell me a website where I can consult Mandrake Mirror list or even a mirror address (I would prefer the first, because I have limited international traffic on my ADSL account :P).

Thank you for your attention;

St3althcAt.

Linux Newbie
    I am also faceing this problem with my Mandrake 10.0 .

Any body please give us at list one mirror.

S. M. Ibrahim
    Registered Linux User # 394440

Pentium-IV 3.00 Ghz(Cache -2MB, 64 bit), 512 MB RAM , 128 MB agp, 160 GB Hdd (SATA)

Just Joined!
    I used my old mandrake installation cd's instead of using mandriva and now I have the same problem.

The update utility can't find a mirror list and I don't know where to change the URLfor the mirror list to the new mirror list at mandiva. I'm guessing that that would fix the problem.

Could somebody please help!?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    So now we confirm that it's not our pc or line problem. It's mandrake's problem.

Is there any body who are using updates correctly.
    S. M. Ibrahim

Pentium-IV 3.00 Ghz(Cache -2MB, 64 bit), 512 MB RAM , 128 MB agp, 160 GB Hdd (SATA)

I'm not 100% sure but is it something to do with the mdkonline and mdkupdate commands from the konsole?

Just Joined!
    the problem is that mdkonline uses the same url as the MandrakeUpdate program and that url doesn't work.

This is the adress that my MandrakeUpdate tries to use now:

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/mirrorsfull.list

But that should be changed to:

http://www.mandrivalinux.com/mirrorsfull.list

But I don't know where to change it.

That would explain it ...

I would really like to know the answer to this, I've had a problem with my mdkupdate since day 1 of installing Mandrake 10.1.

OK I reckon this is worth a try - I've just been reading that there is a new version of mdkonline. Update your sources and then get the new version using "urpmi mdkonline" at the konsole. I just updated mine and ran mdkupdate --auto and didn't get any errors, so it may be working for me!

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by stokes
    That would explain it ...

I would really like to know the answer to this, I've had a problem with my mdkupdate since day 1 of installing Mandrake 10.1.

OK I reckon this is worth a try - I've just been reading that there is a new version of mdkonline. Update your sources and then get the new version using "urpmi mdkonline" at the konsole. I just updated mine and ran mdkupdate --auto and didn't get any errors, so it may be working for me!
    Can you please write details.
    I tried this:
    Code:
    [root@tanha lavlu]# urpmi mdkonline
    urpmi database locked
    S. M. Ibrahim

Quote Originally Posted by S. M. Ibrahim
    urpmi database locked
    You need to close the mandrake package manager first. Urpmi won't work if the GUI is open at the same time. Try doing it with just the Konsole open and nothing else.

Oh - and you need to do 'su root' first as well.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by stokes
    Quote Originally Posted by S. M. Ibrahim
    urpmi database locked
    You need to close the mandrake package manager first. Urpmi won't work if the GUI is open at the same time. Try doing it with just the Konsole open and nothing else.

Oh - and you need to do 'su root' first as well.
    I tried with su and also alone:

Code:
    [root@tanha lavlu]# urpmi mdkonline
    Everything already installed
    [root@tanha lavlu]# mdkupdate --auto
    No /root/.mdkupdate file found. Run mdkonline wizard first at /usr/sbin/mdkupdate line 68.
    Now is this must to make membership on mandrake or mandriva club?
    S. M. Ibrahim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast