Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to Linux and don't know much about it. I just installed Mandriva LE2005. No problems getting in installed. It was really simple even for me. Now my problem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Somebody Please Help Me

I'm new to Linux and don't know much about it. I just installed Mandriva LE2005. No problems getting in installed. It was really simple even for me. Now my problem is I can't install any programs from the CD that I have with Mandriva applications on it. Could somebody please help and try to explain it simply because I feel really dumb when it comes to Linux. Thanks and hope everyone is having a great weekend. Lynn

oz
    forum.guy
    Have you tried installing them from within the Mandriva Control Center? If I remember right, it's under Software Management in the Control Center.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    Have you tried installing them from within the Mandriva Control Center? If I remember right, it's under Software Management in the Control Center.
    Could you please tell me where I find the Mandriva Control Center? I'm a N00B

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    There might be an icon for it in your KDE panel. If not, you can go to the start menu and click: System / Configuration / Configure Your Computer

I think that's right. I don't have Mandriva installed right now so I'm going from memory. If that's wrong, maybe someone running Mandriva will chime in with the exact start menu path.

Once you get to the Control Center, you can click on Software Management to add/remove packages.

I think Mandriva actually splits its control center into separate subcategories. Go to the KMenu and look for System or System Settings or something. There's got to be something about installing software or administering your computer.

In this image, I would go to either "Administer Your System" or "Use More Applications."

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    Could you please tell me where I find the Mandriva Control Center? I'm a N00B
    Open your menu and you should see it in there somewhere. Or, open a terminal and become "root" by going...
    Code:
    su
    ...and press enter. It will ask for you root password. type it and press enter. Then go...
    Code:
    rpmdrake
    ... and press enter. It should look similar to this.

EDIT: Also, found this which may be helpful. Good Luck.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here