Find the answer to your Linux question:
For some reason, whenever I try to so much as even run Wine, WineX, Cedega, or CrossOver Office, which are all obviously based on Wine. My monitor seems to go ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine-based apps and monitor troubles

For some reason, whenever I try to so much as even run Wine, WineX, Cedega, or CrossOver Office, which are all obviously based on Wine. My monitor seems to go off, with no way to get it to turn back on other than to reboot the system.

I'm running Mandrake Linux 10.2 (Mandriva Linux LE 2005), my monitor is a Dell 17" Flat Panel (E172FP). My video card is an ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro. The rest of my system specs are listed in my signature.

I'd be willing to wager it has to do with your ATI card. ATI is notoriously unfriendly with Cedega, however, it can be done if you follow the right advice, and IF you can find it. ATI makes great cards. It's a shame they don't give the same level of support to the Linux community as Nvidia.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    You failed to notice, that it isn't just for Cedega, but for any wine-based apps under Linux as well. And actually, I do have 3d hardware acceleration working fully under Mandrake 10.2.

Quote Originally Posted by paull2k
    You failed to notice, that it isn't just for Cedega, but for any wine-based apps under Linux as well. And actually, I do have 3d hardware acceleration working fully under Mandrake 10.2.
    Just because I pointed out that ATI cards have more problems working under Cedega doesn't mean I failed to notice anything. Cedega is WINE just as the others you mention are. Whether 3D acceleration works for you under Mandrake means nothing as it pertains to how ATI cards behave under wine.

Good luck in finding someone to help you...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here