Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
For many days I have been trying to find a driver for my wireless card, and I finally found one in the Mandriva distro I installed today. I know it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Connection Help - Clueless

For many days I have been trying to find a driver for my wireless card, and I finally found one in the Mandriva distro I installed today. I know it is the correct driver, but I still cannot connect to the internet, and I'm not really sure what to do. What should my configuration be?

Hi Rhadryn. A lot more information is needed before anyone can assist you. When you say, "wireless card" are we talking about a pci card? A pcmcia card, like what you'd use with a laptop? What? What is the exact make and model of this wireless card? Open konsole and post the results of:
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci
    Did you try to configure it in the Mandrake control center? I presume you are using a Wireless router? Do you know whether or not you are set up for DHCP? If so, is DHCP configured in your router? Or are you using a static IP? Tell us about it and I'm sure someone here can get you pointed in the right direction.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Okay, so sorry, I really should have said something more. The code you gave did not work, no file or directory. I'm not really sure what a pci card is, but mine is for a laptop. The wireless card is a Xircom cardbus ethernet 10/100+, that is what it says both in the computer and on the card itself. I know the router (it is wireless) is configured correctly because two other laptops in the house can access it. I did try configuring with the Mandrake Control Center, but I'm not really sure how I was supposed to do that. This laptop is set up for DHCP, and I'm pretty sure that the other laptops are using the same, or at least not a static IP.

You might get it by just going:
    Code:
    lspci
    I'm coming up empty on a wireless Xircom cardbus ethernet 10/100+. When I "froogle," this is what I get. Or is it something like this? Is there a serial number on it anywhere? Gotta know exactly what you have...

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for the quick help. Still no luck on the lpsci, claims it is a bad file name. The second card looks almost exactly the same, I don't think you'll be able to find one that is closer.

Edit: Here it is, the exact one that I have- http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=FG&item=17859

I assumed that the one you found was pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhadryn
    Thanks a lot for the quick help. Still no luck on the lpsci, claims it is a bad file name...
    That's lspci, not lpsci...
    Could you have put it in the wrong way?

Just Joined!
    Oh my. Dyslexia strikes in the dark hours. Here we go... eh, maybe just the ethernet controller is good enough? Retyping all this would be a pain. "06:00.0 Ethernet Controller: Xircom Cardbus Ethernet 10/100"

That's not any more to go on... I was hoping there would be more detail.

When you say you found that Mandriva had the right drivers for it, how did you know this or find this out? A lot of these cards can look exactly the same but have different chipsets and versions and I'm not familiar at all with these cards. Hopefully, someone else who does know will jump in here...

Is it 802.11b or 802.11a?

Anything on it that says, " CBE2NA ?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhadryn
    Edit: Here it is, the exact one that I have- http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=FG&item=17859
    Didn't see this before, I'll have a look...

Just Joined!
    Mm, I think it is the right card because I found a list of cards and the drivers that they need somewhere, and it said that for this model, Xircom CBEM56G (on the back of the card) it needs the driver xircom_cb. Mandriva had this driver, and I manually loaded it. I have no idea where you want me to look for 802.11b or 802.11a, I don't see it on the card. Nothing on it says CBE2NA as far as I can tell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast