Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=521 count=1 Will this work for Mandria also? New to forum, and I want to reload Mandriva....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

devils_casper

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=521 count=1 Will this work for Mandria also?

New to forum, and I want to reload Mandriva.

sudo is for gaining root privileges in Ubuntu. Execute this in Mandriva Terminal/Konsole:
    Code:
    su -
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=521 count=1
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

wipe a linux drive

devils_casper

Thank you muchly. I am going to give her a go. I am a noob at Linux so I think I want to try Ubuntu since I have read its the best distro for beginners. I am pretty proficient at Windows but I want to eventually build a Linux firewall/server if there is such a thing. I have (through the kindess of a friend) the newest version of Mandriva on disk. I also have Ubuntu 6.06 32 and 64 bit and will use the 32 on my Northwood 2.53.

Thanks again, sure glad I found you....

Just Joined!

No joy

Isn't there supposed to be a password or user in there somewhere? Not much fun tonight, but there is always tomorrow...... a couple inches of rain each day kinda messes up my golf game!!

Do you have SATA Hard Disk. Replace hda with sda in dd command.
    Code:
    su -
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=521 count=1
    In case it doesn't work, Post the output of fdisk -l command.

Just Joined!

lookin round

I can't get that fdisk command to work, can you tell me the whole procedure??

Do I have to boot to the konsole or can I access it through the gui for this?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by tpik View Post
    I can't get that fdisk command to work, can you tell me the whole procedure??

Do I have to boot to the konsole or can I access it through the gui for this?
    Yes, go to a terminal or konsole (look for it in your start menu) then enter the commands above as outlined by casper.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Yes, go to a terminal or konsole (look for it in your start menu) then enter the commands above as outlined by casper.

OK, I put in the fdisk and got some info (course I didn't understand it) I also figured out that its the "root" shell right? Anyway that was a no go. command not recognized. I am a total noob so if you throw me to the wolves I will understand. Too much windows in my head.

I could probably email myself in able to copy paste the correct commands.

I saw someone else here I think that complained the network dropped out after each reboot too, yup, got that one too. Ain't computing fun!!?

OK, I put in the fdisk and got some info (course I didn't understand it) I also figured out that its the "root" shell right? Anyway that was a no go. command not recognized. I am a total noob so if you throw me to the wolves I will understand. Too much windows in my head.
    Could you post exact error message here?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2