Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'd like to convert an .mpg file which is 3.3 GB in size into .avi so that I can edit the movie (cut out stuff I don't need, add subtitles, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[HELP] .mpg to .avi - how?

I'd like to convert an .mpg file which is 3.3 GB in size into .avi so that I can edit the movie (cut out stuff I don't need, add subtitles, music, maybe some effects). I've read mpg files aren't editable (or are they?).
    Could anyone suggest an easy newbie way to achieve that? What programme do I need to convert the file and what to type at the command line?

Last but not least, what editor will I need, will Cinerrela do the trick with .avi? Please help me. I've spent the whole week trying to convert the file on Windows, but it always turned out the trial versions of programmes don't support GB sizes or something of the sort. Thank you.

take a look at transcode or mencoder
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

On that particular subject video editing, I have been bloody disappointed by Linux. No real competitor to virtual dub, the codec stuff being as unclear as windows (try to find in two minutes, for each and every video and audio format, whether you have the decoder and/or the encoder <_< At least for nux it's all in the same folder), no avisynth port, no nandub, no Tsunami, no nothing or nearly.

If you really want to make it with Linux using a program with a GUI, the closest Virtual Dub equivalent as possible (it's a nice peace of work even though Virtual Dub is still lightyears ahead), try Avidemux.

If you need the codecs for Linux : mplayerhq.org

Good luck ^^

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close