Find the answer to your Linux question:
i need some advice from you good people out there i am sick of windows and the constant crashing so i want to turn my back on it forever.. but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wanting to make the change to linux from windows

i need some advice from you good people out there

i am sick of windows and the constant crashing so i want to turn my back on it forever..

but my problem is i have a small hybrid network with an adsl wireless router that connects a laptop and pc by switch a mac mini and pc connected by 54g wireless.

i have tried to connect to the internet before but the wireless side wont connect.

can anyone gave me some pointers please

the router is a belkin

with a usb wireless connector

Just Joined!

Hey

I had the same problem, but the most easiest way to make wireless to work for newbies is to use Mepis. Mepis is very user friendly and great with autodetect. got Mepis.org for more info.

Let me know if this helps.

Scott

And Mepis is also a live CD. Ubuntu has a live CD version as well. In fact, several distros have live CD versions. You should "test-drive" your wireless setup with these live CDs.

Just Joined!

Live CD

Mepis is a live CD, indeed. But after you boot with the live CD you also have the option to install Mepis. I would also suggest that you use a live CD to "test drive" the Dis also.

unsure, you should check up onthis post and read up about ndiswrapper. It will allow you to load the windows driver for your wireless card.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    thanks for all your advice

it looks like the belkin usb network card i am using is not compatible with linux due to the drivers it uses i am going to put cat5 cable in to sort the problem

btw mepis is good

thanks again