Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys. I have taken the job as sysadmin to my parent's computer ever since they bought it several years ago (it had win me on it ). Over the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux does not detect my usb printer!?!

Hey guys.
    I have taken the job as sysadmin to my parent's computer ever since they bought it several years ago (it had win me on it ). Over the years, it has recieved several upgrades and such over my short school breaks. Once the warranty ran out I put Win XP on it and sure enough it has had problems at every turn. With the latest problem, I have decided to switch it over to linux. My parents have reluctantly agreed to try it out as long as they can do everything they were able to do before (I am trying to convert one person at a time :P ).

I have set everything up and all is well except for one thing. The printer. This could be a deal breaker because it works fine in Windoze. And, I have no idea where to start with this problem because I have never dealt with usb/printer problems in linux. So, I was hoping you may know where to start.......

Here is my problem:
    After installing Mandrake on the computer, I went to the menu for printing in kde. Through the add printer wizard, I chose local printer and then chose the detect printers. It says that there are no detected printers. So, I fooled around with the other settings, but it still does not find a printer.
    With that, I decided to try Ubuntu to see if it makes any difference. And it does not. I am now back to Mandrake.

My parents have a Lexmark x73 all-in-one usb printer. I have tried turning it on and off as well as trying different ports on the computer. With some research on LinuxPrinting.org, I have found that this printer will only be able to print in Linux and none of the other functions. That is fine.
    Thanks for the help!!

Linux Newbie
    i just checked my CUPS, it had a driver for this printer..........

so, install CUPS..........
    ..........settings in kde
    ...............printing manager
    ....................select CUPS as printing system
    ............................add new printer
    ..................................go through wizard

Just Joined!
    Thanks ordoni for the help. I meant to post sooner, but I went to the brickyard 400 yesterday and had a blast.

Anyways, I have done a lot of reading on setting up printers using CUPS. I tried to get it to work but I am still having problems. I followed the instructions on the CUPS website and used the administrator to attempt to set up the printer. I typed http://localhost:631 in my browser and went through the add printer wizard. The problem is, when I am done and I try to print, nothing happens. I think this might have something to do with what I chose as the backend to use. My printer is a usb printer, but there are like 10 different usb choices. Also, I have a hard time grasping how CUPS knows where my printer is and what usb port it is connected to. This printer is just a local printer, I don't need to have it networked or anything like that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Normally the port should be /dev/usb/lp for your USB printer. Try that out .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    I tried that and it still doesn't work, even though a printer was added through the cups admin. So, I figured that I would try to find out if my printer was even being detected on a usb port. I believe that is what /proc/bus/usb/devices tells me?:

Code:
    [root@localhost usb]# more devices

T:  Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
    B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
    D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
    P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 2.06
    S:  Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.11-6mdk uhci_hcd
    S:  Product=UHCI Host Controller
    S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:1f.4
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  0mA
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   2 Ivl=255ms

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
    B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
    D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
    P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 2.06
    S:  Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.11-6mdk uhci_hcd
    S:  Product=UHCI Host Controller
    S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:1f.2
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  0mA
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   2 Ivl=255ms

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  6 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
    D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
    P:  Vendor=05a9 ProdID=a518 Rev= 1.02
    S:  Manufacturer=OmniVision Technologies, Inc.
    S:  Product=USB Camera
    C:* #Ifs= 3 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=ov511
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS=   0 Ivl=1ms
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 1 #EPs= 1 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=ov511
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 129 Ivl=1ms
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 2 #EPs= 1 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=ov511
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 257 Ivl=1ms
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 3 #EPs= 1 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=ov511
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 385 Ivl=1ms
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 4 #EPs= 1 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=ov511
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 513 Ivl=1ms
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 5 #EPs= 1 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=ov511
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 641 Ivl=1ms
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 6 #EPs= 1 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=ov511
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 769 Ivl=1ms
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 7 #EPs= 1 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=ov511
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 897 Ivl=1ms
    I:  If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=01(audio) Sub=01 Prot=00 Driver=snd-usb-audio
    I:  If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=01(audio) Sub=02 Prot=00 Driver=snd-usb-audio
    I:  If#= 2 Alt= 1 #EPs= 1 Cls=01(audio) Sub=02 Prot=00 Driver=snd-usb-audio
    E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=05(Isoc) MxPS=  32 Ivl=1ms
    I do not see the printer on this list. What else can I try to troubleshoot this?
    --UPDATE---
    Since I suspected Linux is not recognizing my printer connected, I decided to see if anything was being printed in the logs by using:
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/messages
    and then I reconnected the printer to my usb port. And come to find out, it says ' may be a faulty usb cable ' right in the log when I connect the printer. So, I tried all of the other usb ports on the computer, and they all had the same output. Because of this and that I have one other usb device connected and working properly, I have decided to go buy a new cable. Do you think that this is the next step? Or is there something else that I should try before I spend 10 bones?
    Thanks. :P

Linux Newbie
    when you go through the wizard i mentioned earlier, you select the port, driver, and allowed users.........you also print a test page to confirm the driver works

Just Joined!
    yes. I have actually gone thru that wizard several times adding the printer. And, I have actually gotten it to finish where it shows the printer and gives me the option of printing a test page. But, when I print the test page, it just sits there. Also, the status says that the printer is not plugged in or turned on. I will try to post a picture on here a little later today of all of these steps to show you what I am doing.

Just Joined!
    Alright, I am back. Sorry about the delay, I was having trouble uploading the images of the cups administrator. So here are the pictures

pic1
    pic2

Notice how it says that there is no such device? Like I said in the previous post, I did an lsusb to see what usb devices it has connected. The printer is not one of them. Next, I followed the message log and it was saying that the usb cable might be faulty. I went ahead and tried a different usb cable, but it still gives me the same message. That checks off that possible cause.
    So, here I am without any ideas what to do next. Please help!!

I have another printer ( Lexmark z35 ), but I didn't see any mention of it being supported in the linuxprinting.com printer database. And this printer is supposed to be workable. Ok, now I am rambling .....

Linux Newbie
    http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html

Getting Started --> Question #1

Just Joined!
    ok. I saw that page when I was doing some reading on this. Question 1 says that you need to build a kernel with support for usb. It also says that kernels since 2.2.18 have USB. Am I wrong, or should the kernel already have this in Mandriva (I am not sure what version it is)? And, I had a usb camera plugged in before that the machine recognizes just fine.

So, maybe you mean that I should run the post-install commands to make sure that the modules are loaded? If so, I will do that when I get off of work today. I didn't try that before because I assumed that Mandriva already had usb.

I am sorry, I just don't know what you meant by that last post. If you mean that I nead to read that document, I already have looked over it. It's just that there is such a wealth of information there on alot of things I have never encountered; kind of intimidating. I was hoping if someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Please be kind. Thanks.
    I appreciate the help thus far!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast