Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Mandrake 10.1 on my Dell laptop and I need to get my wireless card working (Linksys WPC54GS). Apparantly I need to download ndiswrapper to get the drivers installed. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ndiswrapper

I have Mandrake 10.1 on my Dell laptop and I need to get my wireless card working (Linksys WPC54GS). Apparantly I need to download ndiswrapper to get the drivers installed.

When I try to make ndiswrapper, I get this:
    [devin@localhost ndiswrapper-1.2]$ make
    make -C driver
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/devin/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver'
    Can't find kernel sources in /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/build;
    give the path to kernel sources with KSRC=<path> argument to make
    make[1]: *** [prereq_check] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/devin/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

What else do I need to install to get this working? I read that I need the Mandrake source but when I downloaded the iso's from www.linuxiso.org there was no source CD.

Where can I get what I need to get ndiswrapper set up and how to I install it?

Just Joined!
    I believe that you shouldn't have to worry about downloading it. Have you already tried to use any of the ndiswrapper commands to install the driver?
    go here: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...dex.php/List#L and find your card. This will have a link to the driver that you need. Download it.
    Afterwards, try to issue the command:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -i 'path of the driver'
    This should install the driver for your card.
    Then use this command:
    Code:
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    I hope this helps.

I found this very helpful (disregard the mythtv stuff):
    http://www.raybenjamin.com/public_ht...40606230443593

Just Joined!
    Well I can't use the ndiswrapper command because I haven't been able to compile it. All I have done is extracted the tar.gz file to a folder. How do I get it to work?

Linux User
    Looks like you'll need to install the kernel source. In a terminal/CLI, type in "uname -r" to see what kernel version you are running and then go to the RPMDrake to install the same exact kernel source. Open your Kmenu/start and RPMDrake or "Install Software/Packages" should be somewhere in System > Configuration. Type in kernel source in the search bar and look for the right one. You'll also want to make sure you have gcc and make installed.

From there, you should be able to follow the instructions on the ndiswrapper site.

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!

NdisWrapper

use the package manager that comes with mandrake install the kernal source and then the Ndiswrapper package that is on the CD/DVD.

as root, just do a
    Code:
    urpmi ndiswrapper
    and it will be downloaded and installed for you.

Do this after installing the kernel-sources and wireless-tools package.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by soulbrothax831
    Looks like you'll need to install the kernel source. In a terminal/CLI, type in "uname -r" to see what kernel version you are running and then go to the RPMDrake to install the same exact kernel source. Open your Kmenu/start and RPMDrake or "Install Software/Packages" should be somewhere in System > Configuration. Type in kernel source in the search bar and look for the right one. You'll also want to make sure you have gcc and make installed.

From there, you should be able to follow the instructions on the ndiswrapper site.

Hope this helps.
    Hi. I have a similar problem. When I execute the "Make" command, the system sends an error message asking for the kernel source.
    But, my DVD drive is not working properly so I can not get the source from the installation CD's.
    Does anybody knows if I can get the source rpm package online ? I'm running Mandrake 10.1 and my kernel version is 2.6.8-12.
    Thanks

Just Joined!

Angry

I am having the same (almost) problem, my system (Mandriva free 2k6) 'cannot find command 'make'' ???? What did I do in the install? lol

im cant install ndiswrapper also.
    when i tell it to make

it starts then says "parse error before 'wfastcall
    then it says
    warning: something somthing tsomething declare 'int' to fastcall or something.

but it won't install ndiswrapper.
    any help please?

i have redhat 9, and i have the kernel source installed. 2.4.20-8.i368

Just Joined!

NDIS Wrapper Help

I have just installed the Mandriva Linux Limited Edition 2005 and i need to know how i would go about installing a wrapper and running and installing a Netgear WG111T USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter. I am new to linux so i do not understand anything so i am not offended if you need to talk to me like a baby!

Thanks,
    Jake_2006