Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good day, Right now, I have Mandriva working fine. The only problem is that I can't get a higher screen resolution. In Windows and Knoppix I can use a resolution ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Change resolution outside of X

Good day,

Right now, I have Mandriva working fine. The only problem is that I can't get a higher screen resolution. In Windows and Knoppix I can use a resolution higher than 1024x768, but it won't let me get this high in the desktop settings in System-> Configure-> Configure your Desktop-> Display.

I can change it in System-> Configure-> Configure your Computer-> Hardware-> Change Screen Resolution, but I'm worried that X will fail to load next time if it can't find the screen because the resolution is out of bounds or something. (On this particular computer I have that trouble a lot, which is why I couldn't install Slackware on it.)

I need to be able to change the resolution from outside of X, or, startx with a parameter that will set it to some low resolution--like 640..., 800..., or 1024x768.

One page I googled claims that xrandr will do this, but it looks like that will only work INSIDE X at the command prompt.

ALso, does anyone know why does the Control Centre give me more options for the resolution than the configure desktop area?

Thanks in advance.

-Mandriva Linux 2005 Limited Edition

Just Joined!
    UPDATE

Here's some info:
    On Board Video: Intel D845GVSR mother board
    Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 710v

Linux is using the "intel 845" video card.

I upped the resolution, and when it booted in the desktop area was larger than the screen. So you can't see the menu. If you drag the mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen the entire screen will "scroll" down to the bottom, allowing you to see the KDE panel.

I've seen Windows do this too in the past. What is this called, where the virtual screen is larger than the real screen?

Is this happening because because Linux/X/KDE doesn't think that my video card/screen can handle such a high resolution that it is pretending it has the resolution and scrolls?

And does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

When in X do Ctrl + Alt + Backspace, that will kill X.
    Then login as root.
    Then do "xorgconfig", that will allow you to put in some parameters for your machine.
    Video card, for you that would be Intel 845g.
    If you don't see it in the list, just use the Vesa driver.
    Monitor, refresh rates, these can be found on the back of the monitor.
    mouse and keyboard.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks, that's actually good to know. I can be more aggressive in dealing with the problem, cause I'll be able to reconfigure it. I wonder why that didn't come up the last time I was looking for such information.