Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install nvidia drivers on my mandrake 10.1 box. I start the installation and it tells me Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko' This is most ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

nvidia driver install issue

I am trying to install nvidia drivers on my mandrake 10.1 box. I start the installation and it tells me

Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko' This is most likely because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files. Please make sure you have installed kernel source files for your kernel....

well I installed the kernel source, 2.6.8.1-12mdk Any other suggestions as to why i get this error?

thanks

How about installing the Nvidia driver for your kernel using the MCC soft manager?
    Search for the package that match your kernel (should be 2.6.8.1-12mdk) so sth like: nvidia-kernel-2.6.8.1-12mdk-6111-1mdk

I had a similar problem while upgrading from 10.0 to 10.1. It turned out that the nvidia package for the new kernel wasn't installed. A simple "urpmi" on this package above fixed that problem.