Find the answer to your Linux question:
do i have to umount and mount evertime i change my cdrom disk?? i m running mandrake 10.1????...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    unknown

[SOLVED] cdrom remounting

do i have to umount and mount evertime i change my cdrom disk??

i m running mandrake 10.1????

I would imagine with Mandrake you would not have to because I assume it has automount.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

indeed Mandrake 10.1 (and previous version) auto-mount cdrom. Why would you do it manually? Doesntt the cd icon pops up few second after you put it in? I remember of an old Mandrake bug about auto-mounting, but never had that problem anymore since 10.1

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

mounting issues

I have a problem too with mounting in general (cd-roms specifically) in 10.1.
    I have a book full of backup cd i have made over the years and when I go to fish something
    out and look through several it inevitably will not read a disc and I usually restart.
    yes, this is a pain in the ass, but something I am very willing to work around to avoid windoze.

Rather than restarting, what happens if you try to mount it manually?
    Sometimes Mandrake as some trouble to auto-umount when you eject the cdrom, so that when you insert a new one, it's not auto-mounted. What you can do to prevent that:
    Instead of pressing the eject button on the cdrom, try right-clicking on the CDROM icon and click "eject". By doing this Mandrake will cleanly umount the cdrom and will pop up an error message if there is problem.

Note that instead of rebooting the whole OS, you can try restarting X by pressing "ctrl + alt + backspace". That goes way faster and might get you out of a "cdrom is busy" message you don't know how to get rid of.