Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey there, For a long while I had FC3 installed on my machine as an alternative to windows, but it being the middle of the school year I decided to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva on an XP box?

Hey there,
    For a long while I had FC3 installed on my machine as an alternative to windows, but it being the middle of the school year I decided to switch back due to compatibility issues with things like the printer that were essential for a high school student.

Its the summer now, and before school starts back up I decided I wanted to install both Windows and Mandrake 10.1 on my box so that when I wasn't doing things that required my OS to cuddle with Windows oriented formats, I could use an operating system that wouldn't lock up and crash on the hour.

I just burned Mandriva 10.1 onto a disc (CD format-3 CDs), and I was wondering if I should be partitioning my drive right now. I remember with Fedora Core 3, my options were to create a new root partition to install to or reformat my Windows partition for a clean install, giving me few options to make any sort of dual boot.

Thanks in advance =P

oz
    forum.guy
    Mandriva/drake will give partition and boot options, too.

Just Joined!
    Hm...that was a little too automatic for me...I expected a little less 'click OK and we'll do it all for you' from any linux distro...
    Anyway...I'm having a sound issue now. My sound worked for the first half hour or so running mandrake, but then it just stopped. Anyone have an idea?

Linux Newbie
    What happen after restart?
    S. M. Ibrahim
    Registered Linux User # 394440

Pentium-IV 3.00 Ghz(Cache -2MB, 64 bit), 512 MB RAM , 128 MB agp, 160 GB Hdd (SATA)

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by electronblue019
    Hm...that was a little too automatic for me...I expected a little less 'click OK and we'll do it all for you' from any linux distro...
    Well you can certainly expect it from Mandriva.