Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, After a day of running Mandriva Linux, everything's cool except the fonts. They're incredibly ugly when viewed with antialiasing off. Take a look at these screenshots: 1 , 2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ugly fonts

Hi,
    After a day of running Mandriva Linux, everything's cool except the fonts. They're incredibly ugly when viewed with antialiasing off. Take a look at these screenshots: 1, 2. This is the case with most that I have installed. From what I've read, this is a common issue and can be fixed with making modifications to FreeType. Now, I did these modifications - I think (being a total Linux newbie). What I did was unpack the package into /usr/local/src, edited out that header file, and ran the "make" command twice, as said in the readme. After about a minute of compiling, everything was okay - except the fonts, of course.

Any suggestions?

oz
    forum.guy
    Are you using the KDE Control Center to install them? That method always seems to work well.

Lots of people install the MS core fonts, and while I don't like them for myself, they might be just what you are looking for. Note also that video resolution can have a big effect on font appearance, too.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    Are you using the KDE Control Center to install them? That method always seems to work well.
    Yes - this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    Lots of people install the MS core fonts, and while I don't like them for myself, they might be just what you are looking for. Note also that video resolution can have a big effect on font appearance, too.
    I've only installed Tahoma. Will installing Core Fonts make much difference? As you can see on the above screenshot, the font doesn't look very nice. This is the case with all fonts except Fixed and Terminal.

Can graphics card have anything to do with this? I have an ATI Radeon.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close